Mare e Mare Nord

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 42.30169°N / 9.14612°E
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Apr 8, 2009
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring

Background

The Mare e Mare Nord runs from officially from Cargese on the east of the island to Moriani Plage on the west of the island. It is recommended to take between 10 and 11 days, however for an experienced fit hiker, it could be possibly compressed to as few as 8 days, 9 quite easily. This is a long walk passing through over remote ridges and road-less valley in the initial stages of the walk, and then through mulltiple small villages as we left Corte towards Moriani. Note: We walked this walk in the reverse direction to most guides (i.e. leaving Cargese arriving Moriani), thus spending less time with groups. In fact we were so early in the season that we barely saw anyone!

When to Go


I would recommend early May - our attempt was early April, although the coastal regions were very warm, the middle section between Col de Veccio and Corte was still very much winter (we experienced a bit of snow). By comparison we walked the Mare e Monti (around the coast) in March 2008 and found that almost the perfect time. Don't underestimate how the weather deteriorated in the mountainous interior; however never were the condition any where near bad enough to make the walk hard going/impassable - just less pleasant!

Where to Stay


Along the trail The route can be done sleeping in Gites every nights - these seem to be around €7-10/person and very basic. Although forbidden we brought a tent and wild camped most nights, which brings the flexibility required to condense the days. Out of season a tent is a requirement (in Corsica the season 'officially' starts on the 1st April, however there was no sign that anything opens before May).

Ajjacio Hotel du Palais (€60 for 2 people, room only). A cheap and simple hotel located near the ferry port/bus terminal. No need for luxury at the beginning of the holiday!

Corte Hotel du Paix (€58 for 2 people, room only). Supposedly the nicest hotel in town, very soft towels. After walking for several days and sleeping wild in the tent, a bed was on the cards. There are plenty of other places to stay in Corte, including numerous campsites which could save movey.

Bastia Hotel Central (€77 for 2 people, bed & breadfast). A charming little hotel tucked away on a side street off the main square of Bastia - lovely rooms, really luxurious bathrooms, breakfast could be bigger (all food can always be bigger after 10 days). Very well located, quiet, perfect especially given the price.

Guide Books and Maps


Cicerone Long Distance Walks in Corsica with IGN Blue maps (both available at Stanfords in London)

Trip Details

Comments

No comments posted yet.