Viewing: 1-4 of 4
mtn.man

mtn.man - Mar 20, 2006 10:35 pm - Hasn't voted

snowshoes

You won't need snowshoes unless you hike right after a very heavy snow storm when no one has broken trail. The trail usually gets plenty of winter use so there's almost always a well beaten path to follow. Crampons are more of a necessity than snowshoes, due to the usual icy spots.

nartreb

nartreb - Mar 20, 2006 11:09 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: snowshoes

As you can see from the photos, there are times when snowshoes are very necessary. But I'll add a mention of crampons.

mtn.man

mtn.man - Dec 16, 2006 2:19 am - Hasn't voted

Snowshoes

I've been climbing the Marlboro Trail regularly for 9 years (I maintain it), and I can honestly say I've only used my snowshoes twice. Once to break trail late on a Sunday afternoon when a blizzard finally let up. The other time was when I went off trail purposely to bushwhack. However, in the winter I always bring my crampons.....and quite often I need them. The trail gets so much use that unless you're the first person in after a heavy snowfall, snowshoes aren't necessary. There's usually a well beaten path to the summit. As long as you stay on the trail you shouldn't have to worry about post-holing.

nartreb

nartreb - Dec 20, 2006 1:02 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Snowshoes

Sigh... I've edited it again. I don't like the idea of assuming that people won't wander off the trail, even a heavily-used one like this, so I left in two qualifying "usually"s.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Marlboro Trail' main page