Mediodía Comments

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Diego Sahagún

Diego Sahagún - Sep 29, 2008 10:42 am - Hasn't voted

Peñón del Mediodía and a route specification

I think that you should clear the name (Gredos) off the mountain name and comment that Peña del Mediodía is often named Peñón del Mediodía in many maps and books. It's also possible to climb it by following Garganta de Valdeascas o del Jabalí from the youth holiday camp located near the end of the forest trail wich starts in Navarredonda and cross the river Tormes. I think it's the most direct route from the north.

Luiso

Luiso - Sep 29, 2008 12:04 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Peñón del Mediodía and a route specification

Thanks for your input, Diego. You are right and I will include your suggestions. I had forgotten what about the "Peñón" and is unnecessary to include the reference to Gredos.
On the route of Garganta del Jabalí, only one question. Even though this is obviously the most direct one, however the more used routes are by the passes and I only know it in winter. Without snow, how comfortable to walk (road, bush, stones,...) is that route?
Thanks

Diego Sahagún

Diego Sahagún - Sep 29, 2008 1:18 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Peñón del Mediodía and a route specification

In winter the most direct routes are the safest, in fact the daylight time is less and the risk of a noon storm is higher than in summer. However, we use to descend on other routes if the weather keeps good. Anyway, we've ascended along Garganta del Jabalí route in September without problems.

My 1:25.000 IGN 578-1 (1999) map shows 2219 m for a surveyed peak named Mediodía being Peñón del Mediodía a big rock about 200 m to its NW. Even the 1:50000 CGE 15-23 (2000) sheet presents the same height and name. However both the 1:50000 CNIG "Mapa Guía. Macizo Central de Gredos" (1995) and the 1:25000 "Parque Regional de la Sierra de Gredos" Adrados map show Peñón del Mediodía (2224 m). I've only found Peña del Mediodía in second map showing an unmeasured height 400 m to the SW-W of Mediodía. That elevation measures 2217 m in the first map. Therefore, perhaps you should name the mountain page as Mediodía (2224 m) thus they are most often name and elevation found. Nevertheless I've always known it as Peñón del Mediodía and the most large scale maps show the same.

Luiso

Luiso - Sep 29, 2008 1:34 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Peñón del Mediodía and a route specification

So, I understand that Garganta del Jabalí have no problem but there isn't a road.
About the name, I have heard almost always appoint this peak as Peña del Mediodía but we can let only "Mediodía". I think that it's enough for searching.

Diego Sahagún

Diego Sahagún - Sep 29, 2008 8:57 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Peñón del Mediodía and a route specification

The approach is by a paved road approximately til the bridge over river Tormes, then it's a rolled land forest trail to Campamento Valdehascas (1465 m). Then you have to park your car below some big pines behind the youth holiday camp. If you have a 4WD you could follow for about 250 m and try to park in the pinewood. Then there is a barbed wire fence that can be opened for having access to Pozos de Valdehascas.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Mediodía' main page