Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC - Jun 20, 2008 4:53 pm - Voted 2/10

Great canyon

Great canyon not to be spoiled by some anti bolt ranting BS. There's only 4 rappels (one from a chockstone), and, instead of having to replace miles of slings and witness rope pull marks from poorly positioned anchors, the bolted anchors in this canyon allow people to enjoy the canyon scenery without having to alter the canyon environment by burying dead men, leaving slings, stacking rocks, and whatever other "un-natural" anchor techniques pass as "experienced".
Fun half day gig. Beautiful slot canyon.

Scott

Scott - Jun 20, 2008 5:37 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great canyon

Great canyon not to be spoiled by some anti bolt ranting BS.

Sorry Brian, but see my comment in the description:

None of the bolts in the canyon are even needed and the canyon would be fairly easy to do without leaving anything behind

I never said that miles of slings should be left behind nor deadman. This canyon is easy enough (and I know you have the skills to do it) to leave nothing at all behind with only a few learned skills. Echo is not Heaps.

If it's safety you are concerned with, even with the bolts, I made the comment that "once you acquire the proper skills, Echo is a good first technical canyon". Like any tehnical canyon, it still requires great attention to safety, even with the bolts are no matter of the experience of the party. See here:

Even though most of the technical challenges have all but vanished, don’t get the wrong idea that this canyon is for the inexperienced. It would be foolhardy for anyone to try and descend Echo Canyon without the proper skills.


That said though, once the proper skills are obtained, canyons such as Echo can be done without leaving anything behind. Echo would be a good place to practice. If you practice leaving nothing behind and can't quite do it yet, then you can use the standard bolts as backup (I never advocated removing the bolts). No matter the sport, trying to be low impact is the right thing to do, especially now days. Things like placing countless un-necessary bolts in a canyon, leaving newly discarded oxygen bottles on Everest, shortcutting switchbacks on Timpanogos, etc are not a good idea IMHO.

PS, thanks for reminding me about that I had this page as have to update a section that says conditions can be bad in heavy snow years. It is now on the front page.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Middle Echo Slot via Weeping Rock' main page