Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 42.86130°N / 72.1083°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Bouldering, Ice Climbing, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Mountains in the Monadnock Region

The following is table of the summits in the Monadnock Region.


Mountain Height Most Popular Route's YDS Rating
Mt. Monadnock 3165 Class 1-2
Pack Monadnock 2288 Class 1
North Pack Monadnock 2276 Class 1
Pitcher Mountain 2176 Class 1
Crotched Mountain 2066 Class 1
Holt Peak on Temple Mountain 2048 Class 1
Bald Mountain 2037 Class 1
Skatutakee Mountain 2002 Class 1
Gap Mountain 1940 Class 1
Thumb Mountain 1920 Class 1
Little Mount Monadnock 1833 Class 1
Mount Watatic 1832 Class 1
Kiddler Mountain 1814 Class 1

Monadnock Region Overview

The Monadnock Region is a region is southwestern New Hampshire that is famous for isolated hills and mountains. Named and dominated by Mt. Monadnock, the highest mountain in the region is area, this area is home to a number of hiking, rock climbing and skiing activities. The average elevation of the summits in this area ranges from about 1500 feet in some of lower areas of the Wapack Range to 3165 feet which is summit of Mt. Monadnock.

Regional Boundaries of the Monadnock Region



The Monadnock Region border are very skewed and the only truely defined border is the Vermont border to the west. The Massachusetts border is skewed due to the fact that Mt. Watatic, the first mountain in the Wapack Range lies there. Towards the north the line between the Dartmonth Sunapee Region and the Monadnock Region is skewed with a basic line south of Claremont seperating the region. To the east the border skews with the Merrimack Valley home to Nashua, Manchester and Concord. Often border towns line Milford and New Boston try to link with both regions in order attract different audiences.


One of the many views of Mount Monadnock. This shot was taken from Little Mount Nonadnock.

Mount Monadnock



Mt. Monadnock tend to take most of the hikers in the region. It treeless top (destroyed by fire, not by timberline), dominating status in the region, and close proximity to Boston, New York and many other New England city make it arguably the most popular hiking and climbing destination in the region. Most trails to this summit range from YDS class 1 to YDS class 2. On the mountain though there are rock climbing routes and fun scrambles that satisfy even the most avid of climbers.

The Other Summits



The other mountains in the region are equally fun and exciting to climb. The Wapack Range covered by the YDS class one Wapack Trail, the first interstate trail ever in the United States, has a number of summits with great views including, North Pack Monadnock, Pack Monadnock, Kidder Mountain and Mt. Watatic. On the western side close to Mt. Monadnock lies Gap Mountain, Hyland Hill, Little Mount Monadnock and Pitcher Mountain. Each of these mountains have great views of towering Mt. Monadnock and other mountains in the region.



Prinicipal Towns in the Region

The largest town in the region is Keene, New Hampshire. Home to Keene State University as well a number hotels and motels in the region, Keene lies right in the middle of the Monadnock Region is usually a popular stay with people stay overnight in the region.

Other principal towns in the region that will having overnight accommadations would be Peterbourgh, New Hampshire and Jaffrey, New Hampshire. Peterbourgh is a more famous for being an arts destination. Still though it is in close proximity to the Wapack Trail as well as the Harris Center. Jaffery is another quaint looking town that has great accommadations close to Mount Monadnock.

Weather Conditions and Links






alt="Click for Jaffrey, New Hampshire Forecast" height=60 width=468>


Weather Conditions and Gear

Weather Conditions is this region vary widely throughout the year. There is a saying in New England that if "you don't like the weather then wait a minute". That saying can't be more true here. Weather in this region is unpredictable. About the only thought you can depend on is that there not be snow in July and August and the temperature will not be 100F temperatures in January and February. Most weather though, is predictable and easy to judge if you looking at the weather forecast for the region. The mountains in this region are small reletive to the rest of the world and, with some exception to Mount Monadnock, the weather condtions on the top of mountain are usually only five degrees cooler and a little more windy that the conditions starting.

In summer this region is easy to dress for, especially if you taking one of the many dayhikes in the region. Only essential hiking gear is needed with sturdy shoes and a jacket. Bug repellent is a must in this region due to the spread of the deadly Triple E and the West Nile Viruses in the region. In very early summer it is also Black Fly season. Black Flys bite with a vengance and can leave scars on your body for weeks unless you used a strong bug repellent.

Winter in this region is the most unpredictable. Invest in crampons, snowshoes and yaltraks if planning on hiking in winter. Depending on the hike, you might end up using all three. At this time of year it is key to look at the weather forecast. I never usually hike in this region unless the weather is clear or partly cloudy. If a heavy snow has fallen recently wear snowshoes. If it cold and no snow has fallen for a while that wear crampons. You can't go wrong though if you bring both.

Fall is the pretty time but weather is highly unpredictable here. If you are staying overnight in the region bring everything except the crampons and the snowshoes. Though it doesn't start snowing in the reason until late October, the nights in this region can get cold even in September. Bugs become less of a problem after the first frost. Bring a sturdy jacket, gloves and a hat and keep your eye on the weather condtions during this time of year. Cameras in late September and early October are AN ABOSOLUTE MUST. New England has some of pretty foilage in the United States if not the world.

Spring is the least desirable time to hike in this region. In April mud season from snow melt turns many of these trails to mud pits. Some trails are not even open at this time. However May can be a nice time to hike in this region. The temperatures are usually warmer and weather is more predictable (though it can still snow) in May and the trails have less mud on them. Watch out for brush fire danger though especially in early May. What happen at this time of year is that because the leaves haven't developed on the trees yet, the sun's ray hit the bare ground directly and drys out the soil and the ground vegetation. This drying effect causes the trees and soil to be highly suspectible to fires.

Trail Conditions

Here are two websites that will provided you the best information on conditions in the Monadnock Region.

Appalachian Mountain Club

Current Trail Conditions



External Links

1. Mount Monadnock State Park

3. Map of Trail on Mount Monadnock>

4.
Wapack Trail

5. Miller State Park

6. Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway

7. Harris Center

8. Monadnock Region camping website

9. Gap Mountain Information.

10. Rhododendron State Park





Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.