kironicUntitled Comment

kironic

Good page! I think the hike from San Pedro Valley up the Brooks Creek trail is the best (aesthetically). What's your opinion about the different routes? I bet people would benefit from knowing the differences between them.

Posted Feb 17, 2002 12:07 pm

naderUntitled Comment

nader

Nice page and thank you for the tip regarding thumbnails.
Posted Feb 17, 2002 1:34 pm

JohnUntitled Comment

John

Nice page Morgan. I'll have to check this one out some time. Nice links to Yahoo! Maps, however, after looking at them I'm surprised you didn't list Pacifica, CA as the weather conditions reference point since it is much closer than Half Moon Bay. The Half Moon Bay reference incorrectly led me to believe this was near the CA SR-1 and CA SR-92 junction ;-) If you want to get really specific, there's a weather report for Montara, CA as well - but Montara is not generally as well known as Pacifica or Half Moon Bay.

Regarding trail comparisons: From looking at the topo map, but not being there, I think I would like the McNee Ranch / Montara Beach trailhead better. I'm addicted to ocean views and the San Petro Valley trailhead has some of it's views blocked by San Redro Mountain. What makes the San Pedro approach worthwhile?
Posted Feb 18, 2002 9:59 am

mpbroUntitled Comment

mpbro

John,

It is difficult to find weather conditions that are actually reported in the city of interest. In actuality, the Pacifica weather on Yahoo is San Francisco, and the Half Moon Bay weather is from San Carlos. I updated the link to a personal weather station in Vallemar neighborhood of Pacifica, from wunderground.com.

The SPVCP approaches are much different from the MSB approach. The former climbs through a very wet, shaded valley, and thus is very densely vegetated. Near the bottom, there are some nice fir and redwood trees. As you climb, you see Manzanitas and other interesting trees, along with nice flowers, bushes, and ferns. The highlight of the SPVCP ascent is the 180' waterfall that you can see from along the Brooks Creek Trail. Around 1200' elevation, the trails join to the main Montara Mountain access road. You are right: the MSB approach is far more beach-oriented. Great views all along the way, but this approach is tough on a windy day, and the trail is very steep. So you are choosing between vegetation/waterfalls and the ocean. Both trails are excellent, IMO. In this case, the rest of the hike to the summit is more for exercise, since the quality of the views decreases.

I will address your questiosn when I get around to making route pages for 2-4 routes...

morgan
Posted Feb 18, 2002 12:23 pm

Rahel Maria LiuUntitled Comment

Rahel Maria Liu

Hi Morgan,

great page. I only suggest some book titles for you "to do"-list ;o). I am voting now as if you have added already all stuff from your "to do"-list ;o).

Cheers, Rahel
Posted Feb 18, 2002 10:09 am

mpbroUntitled Comment

mpbro

You're tough! But in a good way. ;)

The logistics for this mtn are a bit tougher than for most, since there are three or four accepted access points. But I will get around to doing it; perhaps today or tomorrow.

I will also add some books right now. California Hiking is an excellent book, and covers both western approaches quite thouroughly. I recommend this hike greatly if you visit San Francisco for a week or two.
Posted Feb 18, 2002 12:25 pm

gordonyeUntitled Comment

gordonye

Great page!
Posted Feb 25, 2002 4:20 pm

OBIJUANKENOBI71Untitled Comment

OBIJUANKENOBI71

Of all yours pages, this it is the one that but I have liked. Very good idea the panoramic picture.

Cheers