Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.76000°N / 0.48°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Additional Information Elevation: 4560 ft / 1390 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Montcabrer (1390 m) is the forth highest mountain in Alicante province after Aitana (1558 m), Penya de l'Aixà (1460 m) and Puig Campana (1406 m). It's also the highest peak in Parque Natural de la Sierra de Mariola (16000 Ha / 39537 Acres). Because of its location is frequently climbed on weekends.

The most easy route is from Santuario Virgen de Agres (795 m) but Montcabrer can also be ascended on senda de Huit Piletes from Ermita de San Cristòfol (550 m) in Cocentaina and the town of Alcoy (660 m). The begining of the last route is really on the forest trail from Alcoy to Ermita de San Cristóbal.
Montcabrer from the SELast section to the summit

Getting There

Plane


The nearest airport is placed near Alicante (74 Km from Alcoy).

Private vehicle


From Alicante take A-7 to Castalla, CV-80 to Alcoy, N-340 to Cocentaina and Muro de Alcoy and CV-700 to Agres.

From Valencia take A-7 to Albaida, N-340 to Muro de Alcoy and then CV-700 to Agres or follow on N-340 to Cocentaina and Alcoy.

From Albacete take A-31 to Sax, CV-80 to Castalla, A-7 to Alcoy, N-340 to Cocentaina and Muro de Alcoy and CV-700 to Agres.

Train


There are train stations in Alcoy, Cocentaina and Agres (4 Km from the village).

Red Tape

Parque Natural de la Sierra Mariola was created on January 8th, 2002. So it's a rather new park. It's very important because of its flora, there are 1400 different species of plants.


Its fauna is important as well. Reptils: Iberian wall lizard, Psammodromus manuelae, Ocellated Lizard, Malpolon monspessulanus, Vipera latastei... Birds: Chaffinch, Partridge, European Serin, European Robin, Great Tit, Golden Eagle, Peregrine Falcon, Goshawk, Eurasian Eagle Owl, Tawny Owl, Barn Owl... Mammals: Wild Boar, Rabbit, Wildcat, Beech Marten, Least Weasel , Common Genet, European Badger, Fox...

Weather

Montcabrer and Sierra Mariola are under a Mediterranean weather. Most of the precipitations are in the north and east of the mountain. The weather on the SW corner is continental nature. The snowstorms are common in Winter and exceptionally in early Spring.

Camping

Camping is not permited in the the whole Parque Natural de la Sierra Mariola.

Huts


Refugio Montcabrer (1220 m) or Santiago Reig del Moral (Centro Excursionista de Alcoy). Tel: 96 5543216.
Refugio-camping Racó de Zamorano (Conselleria de Territorio y Vivienda). Tel: 96 593 40 00.
Refugio De Garrido (Conselleria de Territorio y Vivienda). Tel: 96 593 40 00.
Refugio MontcabrerRefugio Montcabrer



External Links

Parque Natural de la Sierra Mariola.

Parc Natural de la Serra de Mariola. Pdf format leaflet about the natural park.

La Serra Mariola. Pdf format brochure about Sierra Mariola.

Cava Arquejada

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Diego Sahagún

Diego Sahagún - Aug 21, 2012 1:20 pm - Hasn't voted

“Las llamas estaban cerca, nunca hemos visto nada igual”

http://ccaa.elpais.com/ccaa/2012/07/12/valencia/1342108916_384770.html (in Spanish)

Diego Sahagún

Diego Sahagún - Aug 22, 2012 2:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: “Las llamas estaban cerca, nunca hemos visto nada igual”

http://www.acifalcoi.com/

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.