Monte Gennaio Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-9 of 9
yatsek

yatsek - Jun 11, 2009 6:09 am - Voted 10/10

Wildlife

How rich/poor is the wildlife - generally, in the higher Appennini Mountains?

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Jun 11, 2009 6:16 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Wildlife

Not much when we were there - we saw two marmots over a period of two weeks. But it was a bit early as the snow was just melting. We saw a golden eagle and a mufflon girl in the Alpi Apuane and they say that wolves have been reintroduced in the Appennino.

However, we got invaded by Painted Lady Butterflies and Ladybugs during the last days. And lots of orchids, crocusses, gentians, anemones ...

yatsek

yatsek - Jun 11, 2009 1:09 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Wildlife

Not bad! Surely you chose the right time to go. Thanks for the details.
Cheers
Jacek

RenatoG

RenatoG - Jun 11, 2009 1:42 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Wildlife

It's not exact that "wolves have been reintroduced in Appennino".

Wolves, in Italy, in the last 20/30 years had a great increase (from about 100 wolves in the '70s, to the more than 800 today) and spontaneously expanded their presence from central Apenines (from where they never disappeared) to northern Apennines and western alps (as far as France and Switzerland!)

Anyhow, in the northern Apennines, the wildlife is very rich, but at the lower altitudes: in the woods of Toscana, Emilia, Romagna, Liguria live thousands of roedeers, red deers, wild boars, foxes, etc.

Ciao!

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Jun 11, 2009 4:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Wildlife

"Anyhow, in the northern Apennines, the wildlife is very rich, but at the lower altitudes: in the woods of Toscana, Emilia, Romagna, Liguria live thousands of roedeers, red deers, wild boars, foxes, etc"

- which did a vanishing trick right before we arrived

:-)

RenatoG

RenatoG - Jun 11, 2009 4:48 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Wildlife

Eh! eh! eh! :-D
You can't see it, it doesn't exist... ;-)

Also I, when climbed Gran Paradiso, didn't see not even an ibex ;-) And Gran Paradiso is the "land of ibex"...

Sure, you was out of luck: it's easy see roedeers and red deers along the mountain and hill roads of Emilia; and unfortunately, they cause several car accidents. Just in the province of Reggio Emilia (my mother was from there), every year they put down about 6000 roedeeers outnumbering the maximum load for the area. And wildboars do great damages to the cultures... And Reggio Emilia has only a little stretch of Northern Apennines.

Ciao!

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Jun 12, 2009 1:30 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Wildlife

After all, traces of wild boars were visible :-) But the fact remains that it was too early for all these animals to be were we we hiking. As long as you stay on the ridges as long as the forests are still under a snow cover they will stay below. And we were summit bound ...

As for Ibexes - go to the Julian Alps - On Monte Cimone they nearly ate from our hands :-)

Oh - and since I'll post a number of summits from the Appennino Tosco Emiliano, I'll also create an overview page. I'll need all help I can get so feel free to add comments and such ...

yatsek

yatsek - Jun 12, 2009 2:43 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Wildlife

OK, guys :) - let's agree it's neither Slovenia nor Slovakia but the wolves are a huge success.

RenatoG

RenatoG - Jun 12, 2009 1:23 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Wildlife

Ah, ok: in the summit bound you can't see deers neither in summer... I said: "(...)the wildlife is very rich, but at the lower altitudes", that's forest...

I saw many ibexes: in Julian Alps (Slovenia) and Dolomites (Marmolada, Sella), so it seemed to me even more strange I can't see them in Gran Paradiso ;-)
---
I fear I can't give you any help for the Overview page of App. Tosco-Emiliano, because I saw these mountains only from below, I never hiked there... My comment was only to fix the assertion "the wolves have been reintroduced": they said to you a big lie, often used by hunters and farmers to justify illegal hunting.

Ciao!

Viewing: 1-9 of 9
Return to 'Monte Gennaio' main page