Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Vid Pogachnik

Vid Pogachnik - Dec 28, 2008 4:30 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice!

Hello!

It's very fine that you have added this interesting mountain. I often planned to visit it, but somehow higher goals prevailed. But will come soon, I hope.

In the "Getting There" section you should mention also the approach from Misurina - by the mountain road. I think it is allowed to drive up to everybody. This should be also one of the ascent routes - the easiest one.

Would be also interesting for readers if you mention, that during the World War I the plateau of Monte Piana was held by Italians while the nearby summit of Monte Piano was held by Austro-Hungarian army.

Cheers!
Vid

saman

saman - Jan 1, 2009 2:35 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice!

I've just read at http://www.montepiana.com/ that the road is closed for the public, even for cyclists since 1998. But I'm not really good at Italian so it is possible, that I'm wrong.

Yeah, the higher goals... The best option is to plan one more day for any trip to the Dolomites than necessary, and then you can visit lower peaks like this.

Happy New Year :)
saman

ukalpine

ukalpine - Jan 1, 2011 10:26 am - Hasn't voted

Monte Piano

The road up Monte Piano is most definately closed to all traffic other than the shuttle bus which runs up there during the summer months. No Bikes either. Good routes are up either Route 6 or 6a spend time traversing summit and don't forget to visit the hospitable Refugio Bosi. The walk down the road is nice but the €5 landrover journey is much quicker. A bus service from Lago Misurini will return you to your vehicle at the start of your trek. I climb Monte Piano most weeks, never the same, a great place to visit and spend time exploring.

saman

saman - Jan 6, 2011 4:59 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Monte Piano

Thanks for the info.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Monte Piano / Piana' main page