Monte Sief

Monte Sief

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Hiking

Add Heading Here

A 2424 m mountain in the Dolomites (although not a dolomitic mountain: it has vulcanic origins and clearly shows it), not belonging to any particular group, in the eastern part of the grassy Pralongià-Störes-Cherz plateau, between Badia and Livinallongo/Fodom valleys and Valparola and Falzarego passes. It is linked by a long ridge to the Col di Lana (m 2462), and they form a massif.
One of the paths leading there starts from the Punta Trieste mountain hut (m 2028) and follows paths no. 23 and 24 via Pralongià mountain hut (m 2157) and Störes rise (m 2181), both in the first part, then there is a loong walk almost flat on the plateau until, in front (and below) the Settsass, path no. 21 turns towards the right, crosses the grasses of Passo Sief (m 2209) and goes up the northern rige to the peak of the Monte Sief.
The panorama includes the opposite Settsass, the Lagazuoi, Sas de Stria, Croda Negra, Nuvolau, and longer away Padon, Marmolada, Monte Pelmo, Monte Civetta, Pizes da Cir, Sassongher, Puez plateau, Sella group.
About 2.30-3.00 hours from Punta Trieste, due to the long flat walk (the less than 300 meters of altitude gap are all in the last part). On the way back there is the possibility of descending the grasses and pine groves to the former Hotel Planac (m 1720), passing by some mountain "huts" (restaurants) such as La Marmotta (m 1920), Incisa (m 1940) and Capanna Nera (m 1778).

The Sief-Col di Lana massif was an battle theatre during World War I; both peaks were originally held by Austro-Hungarina troops. During 1915 the Italian army lanunched several attacks agains the Col di Lana, resulting in useless slaughter, until its summit was blown up with a mine and conquered on 17 April 1916. Later, the fight raged on the ridge between Col di Lana (in Italian hands) and Sief (in Austro-Hungarian hands), with more attacks and mines, but no substantial changes until the Italian troops had to retreat after the battle of Caporetto.
Between 1915 and 1917 some 8,000 men (6,000 Italians and 2,000 Austro-Hungarians) died on this massif, which thus earned the nickname of "Col di Sangue" (hill of blood). The remains of the Austro-Hungarian trenches are still clearly visible on the Sief.

13 August 2009.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Comments

No comments posted yet.