Monte Vignola winter ascent

Monte Vignola winter ascent

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.76686°N / 10.94598°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: EEI
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Altissimo-Baldo chain projects towards the Val d'Adige (towards the East) an area of high and undulating mountain pastures moved by some elevations dropping down with steep rocky walls on the Val d'Adige.

Monte Altissimo di Nago seen from Monte Vignola
Monte Altissimo di Nago seen from Monte Vignola
Monte Baldo seen from Monte Vignola
Monte Baldo seen from Monte Vignola

 

 

 

Two of these ones are Monte Vignola 1606 m and Corno della Paura 1518 m. On the other side (above La Polsa) the mountain slopes down with sweet and bucolic meadows.

 

 

 

 

 

Starting from La Polsa there is a simple trail taking place at first mainly along ex-military dirt roads in the direction of Monte Vignola and then on an easy itinerary on the slopes of Monte Vignola, practicable in winter with snowshoes or crampons.  

Labelled pano from route to Monte Vignola
Labelled pano from route to Monte Vignola

This itinerary is highly advisable in reason of the extensive views, the beautiful landscape and summit panorama, besides the testimonies of the WWI. The route follows at first the old military roads of the Great War and leads to contact with a series of interesting war remains such as tunnels, rock shelters, retaining walls, observation points. Remains of defensive works of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. which were not completed due to the retreat of the lines at the beginning of WWI. In fact, Monte Vignola should have housed a fort in the fortified belt of Vallagarina which from Baldo should have reached as far as Pasubio, but the Austro-Hungarian Empire did not implement the project and the lines were set back.

Frozen pond along the military road to Monte Vignola
Frozen pond along the military road to Monte Vignola

Getting There

The starting point is La Polsa di Brentonico - From A22 Autobrennero exit Rovereto Sud and follow the signpost to Mori, then to Altopiano di Brentonico. Take the road SP3, pass the town of Brentonico and at the fork keep left to Polsa di Brentonico.  Here take the road to Camping La Polsa, where near the parking lot the road ends. 

Route Description

Monte Vignola winter ascent

Difficulty: EEI Difference in level: 300 m from La Polsa
Starting point: La Polsa di Brentonico 1297 m

A fine and worthwhile itinerary, leading on a highly panoramic summit 

The start is located near the car park at the end of the SP218 which connects Brentonico with the locality of La Polsa. From here take the SAT 18 route. This route, which partly coincides with the Sentiero della Pace, runs along a beautiful military road that passes alongside the campsite, advancing halfway up the hill towards Monte Vignola.

Monte Vignola military road
Monte Vignola military road
Monte Vignola military road (2)
Monte Vignola military road (2)

 

First it passes malga Vignola and then passes near the former Austro-Hungarian barracks and an impluvium for collecting rainwater. Having reached a nearby commemorative stone with a flag, leave the military road and take the track on the left, which begins to climb more decisively along the slopes of the mountain.

 

 

A short winding climb along the steep slope takes us to the top of Monte Vignola 1606 m., where you can often meet chamois.

Nearing the summit of Monte Vignola
Nearing the summit of Monte Vignola
Reaching the summit of Monte Vignola
Reaching the summit of Monte Vignola

 

 

On the summit of this mountain it is clear why it was chosen as the site of a fort, the panorama is vast and ranges from Pasubio to the Little Dolomites, from Lessini to Garda, Adamello, Presanella, Brenta.

 

 

 

 

On the top there are some circular concrete emplacements for the anti-aircraft artillery built by the Italian troops in 1915 after the Austrians left the emplacement.

WWI emplacements for the anti-aircraft artillery  on Monte Vignola
WWI emplacements for the anti-aircraft artillery on Monte Vignola

Descent: reversing the same itinerary

Carè Alto seen from Monte Vignola
Carè Alto seen from Monte Vignola

 

Southern Presanella group seen from Monte Vignola
Southern Presanella group seen from Monte Vignola
The Sengio Alto seen from Monte Vignola
The Sengio Alto seen from Monte Vignola

Red Tape

No fees no permits required

Essential Gear

Warm clothing and equipment for the progression on snowy ground (snowshoes or crampons may be required depending on the snow conditions).

Accomodation

Various possibilities in La Polsa and Brentonico. Camping in La Polsa. 

When to climb

From December to March

Meteo

Meteotrentino

External links

Trentino Grande Guerra
Parco Monte Baldo