Viewing: 1-10 of 10
desainme

desainme - Jun 22, 2004 11:21 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Good Appalachian crag with interesting photos including flora and fauna.

BobSmith

BobSmith - Jun 22, 2004 11:23 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Once again, I missed getting some wildlife photos because I couldn't get the camera ready in time. I almost stepped on a copperhead, but she slithered away before I could get a photo. Right at the end of the trail after I'd summited two peaks. Then I couldn't bring the camera up in time to get a pair of white-tailed deer by the trail (same thing happened on Pilot Mountain). By the time I got the camer ready, they were obscured too much by small trees and leaves.

mtwashingtonmonroe

mtwashingtonmonroe - Jun 22, 2004 11:37 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice page! You might want to consider adding route information for individual mountains in the range or the more popular ones. Good page and nice mountains! Good climbing to you!

BobSmith

BobSmith - Jun 22, 2004 11:49 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks! Today was my first visit to the Sauratowns. I'll add other routes to some of the other big peaks. One I'm not sure of is the range's namesake mountain: Sauratown Mountain. It has towers on it, so I fear it may be in private hands. Not sure.

BobSmith

BobSmith - Jun 23, 2004 6:49 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks!

hgrapid

hgrapid - Jun 23, 2004 10:05 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Looks like this time you used a digital camera? How many megapixels? I am getting one on Saturday.



Good page.

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Jun 23, 2004 1:03 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Really a nice page, Bob! Keep on posting!

BobSmith

BobSmith - Jun 25, 2004 6:55 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks!

Diggler

Diggler - Jun 30, 2004 7:57 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice page! What are monadnocks??! It would be useful for the climbers if you were able to figure out which guidebook shows the routes in the area.

BobSmith

BobSmith - Jun 30, 2004 10:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Monadnock is a geology term that describes "an area of relatively high relief surrounded by an area of relatively low relief". Bascially, a mountain that stands alone with no nearby peaks or high terrain. Named for the famous Mount Monadnock in New Hampshire. Monadnocks are generally formed by erosion--as the surrounding terrain is carried off by water, the monadnock forms generally due to being overlain by, or consisting of, harder material. In the case of the Sauratown Mountains it is quartzite that has resisted.



One of my regrets is that I'm not a climber. Just a hiker. So I don't know much about the climbing routes in the Sauratowns (or anywhere else I hike). I do know that there are, quite literally, dozens of climbing routes in Hanging Rock State Park, some of them up to 400 vertical feet. I can only hope some Carolinas climbers will hit this site and post some of the many climbing routes on the mountain. Most of them are named, as I saw over 20 routes closed by the park on my last visit (due to peregrine nesting season). This still left dozens of good routes open.



I don't know of any printed listings of these routes, or any routebooks for them. Sorry.



Thanks for the vote!

Viewing: 1-10 of 10
Return to 'Moores Knob (Sauratown Group)' main page