Mount Athos ~ Normal Route (south slope) Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-2 of 2

davidrf44 - May 26, 2010 12:59 pm Date Climbed: May 25, 2010

Solo climb to Athos  Sucess!

Started around 7:00am from Agh. Pavlos, which is about 3km north of the Skiti Agh. Annas. In passing through the village I missed the left turn for the mountain, which then took me on a detour and I ended up making the ascent from Skiti Agh. Vasilou. This added another 2.5km to the trip. Finally got on the right path and made it to the top with a welcome rest at the Panagia sanctuary, which is located at 1500m. There is an opportunity for topping up with water there. The climb from chapel to the summit was a bit tedious following the zig-zag path for the next 500m. I was surprised to find several workman at the summit building a large extension to the chapel. I susect that eventually there will be an opportunity to overnight on the mountain. Did not get back to Agh. Pavlos until around 8:00pm and missed dinner. Would recommend staying the night at Skiti Agh. Annas as this makes the climb easier and around 6km shorter. Weather was good, not too hot and not too cold. All in all a great climb on a very special mountain.

John Climber

John Climber - Feb 21, 2006 4:04 pm Date Climbed: Apr 13, 2004

Solo climb to Athos  Sucess!

Climbed alone from Skiti Agia Anna. A little bit misty and cold weather, but it did not rain. Quite some of snow on the last stonny south slope (rocky section) before the summit, which was a little bit hard to step. I departed at 9:00 a.m. and arrived at 17:00 back to Agia Anna. It could have done quicker.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Mount Athos ~ Normal Route (south slope)' main page