Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.22300°N / 69.069°W
Additional Information Elevation: 780 ft / 238 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Mount Battie is one of the peaks of the Camden Hills that loom above the harbor at Camden Maine. These mountains rival those on Mount Desert Island in height and grandeur, making them among the most impressive along North America's eastern coastline. Mount Battie can be accessed via the Mount Battie Auto Road, or by trail. Located completely within the Camden Hills State Park, Mount Battie and nearby Mount Megunticook (1380 feet) present some excellent hiking opportunities.

(If anyone has any photos of this peak, please add them. I had the worst luck with clouds and rain on this trip to Maine and I have few good photos of Mount Battie.)


Getting There


Mount Battie is in the Camden Hills State Park. Located 2 miles north of the town of Camden on Route 1.

Red Tape


None that I know of.

When To Climb


Any time of year. In severe winter weather, I assume the best way to get to the peak is to hike to the top. About 800 feet of elevation gained (since the base of Mount Battie is at sea level). A good, brisk hike.

Camping


There is an extensive campground (over 100 sites) in Camden Hills State Park. Not sure of the fees.

Mountain Conditions


Check weather for Camden. Subtract a couple of degrees for the summit.