Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.37784°N / 66.8758°W
Additional Information County: Northumberland
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 2690 ft / 820 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Carleton is the highest point in New Brunswick, it is also the highest point in the maritime provinces (New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia). The mountain is part of the northern extension of the Appalachian Mountains. It is located in Mount Carleton Provincial Park. Weather conditions can be obtained from the Visitor Center throughout the day. There is a parking lot and pit toilet located at the trail head for the mountain. There are 2 trails up to the summit. The standard trail is 4.4km one way and takes about 1 1/2-2 hours. The trail starts as a gradual climb though the forest. After 2.8km there is a cut off to Big Brook trail, the trail to Mount Carleton becomes steeper and rockier after that point. Just beyond that point is the cabin that the fire tower men used to live in which you are free to go in and look around. This is where supplies were brought to the men and they could stay here when off duty or during storms. At 4km there is another cut off to Big Brook trail again and a sign clearly points to the summit 400m away. There are blue blazes marking the trail. The other trail from the parking lot is an old fire road that is 5.5km long. Some people go up one and down the other. You have to go up the fire road trail if you want to camp at the back country sites though. Near the summit there are 2 trails to the summit, one is a more exposed boulder scramble and one stay in the woods. At the summit is a tower where they used to watch for forest fires. The guy wires holding it to the ground show how forceful a storm could be at the top at times. The view is nice, you can see 10 million trees on a good day. With views of Maine and into the Chic Chocs of Quebec not to mention the surrounding mountains of the area. Total vertical gain from the parking lot is 515m/1689ft.

Getting There

Driving directions: From north:Route 17, in Saint Quentin exit onto Route 180, to Route 385. From east: Route 180, then Route 385. From south: Route 2, exit 115 onto Route 109 to Plaster Rock, west on Route 108, onto Route 385 From west:from Bathurst take Route 180, to Route 385.

Red Tape

Open from May 15- October 15 for camping though the gates remain open during the winter months.

Camping

Rates: $9.00-$14.00 There are 5 campgrounds at the park: Armsbrook is the largest consisting of 3 loops. 10 sites are drive through the rest accommodate a tent trailer or tent. Each campsite has a fire pit. There is a kitchen shelter, unsupervised playground, washroom/shower facilities, Nictau Lake swimming area is easily accessible from here. Franquelin and Williams Brook: semi wilderness, pit toilets,no running water. Tent platforms, picnic table and fire pits are at each site. Both are located along the shores of Nictau Lake. Group: this campground is used specifically for large groups. Available by reservation. It has 3 circular tent areas which hold 20-25 people with fire rings and picnic tables, kitchen shelter vault toilets. Tents, no hookups or rvs. Swimming is close by. Headwaters: this is the back country campground. It has 4 sites and reservations are strongly recommended. It is located off the fire road trail to the summit of Mount Carleton and is only a short distance from the summit. No fire are permitted and you must bring something to purify your water or boil it for at least 10 minutes. There are 2 water sources, a spring and a small pool. There is a shared food cache and the pit toilet. Campers here MUST sign in and out at the Visitors Center. Pack out what you pack in. Cabins are also available at a cost of $50.00 per night based on double occupancy. If you don't camp you can obtain a day pass for $7.00. **Note fees are payable in cash only**

External Links

http://www.out-there.com/mount_carleton_provincial_park.htm http://www.friendsofmountcarleton.ca/ http://www.tourismnewbrunswick.ca/Product.aspx?pid=1373 Office phone : 506-235-0793 Reservations : 1-800-561-0123 Fax number : 506-235-0795 Address : 7612 Route 385 Saint-Quentin New Brunswick email address: mt.carleton@gnb.ca Topo Map: Nepisiguit Lake 21 O/7 1:50,000

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
technicolorNH

technicolorNH - Aug 18, 2015 10:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Slight price increase

They raised the price for a day pass to $8 and it remains a cash only park.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.