Mount Diablo Comments

thepluggerUntitled Comment

theplugger

Good job. This page tempts me to seek this one out when I'm ever down that way.
Posted Feb 19, 2002 5:05 pm

mpbroUntitled Comment

mpbro

Good page. I realize that with all the different approaches that it is irritating to give a "routes overview", but I'd be interested to know the elevation of the trailheads you listed, as well as distance to the summit along each of the trails. A "guess-timate" would be fine.
Posted Feb 20, 2002 9:16 am

gordonyeUntitled Comment

gordonye

I have only done the North Peak and only through one route. This is a great route though, about 4 miles to North Peak with about 2800 feet elevation gain (starting elevation 900', ending 3557'). If you add 2 more miles you will reach the main peak, adding another 800' elevation gain (after descending 500'). I haven't done this yet (would make a 3600' day).

I'll research some of the other routes (most are quite flat), I think there may be a few more nice steep ones.
Posted Feb 20, 2002 9:38 am

gordonyeUntitled Comment

gordonye

Correction: Northeast trailhead to North Peak to main peak is 3600' up + 700' down for the round trip. Total gain would be 4300'.
Posted Feb 20, 2002 9:43 am

mpbroUntitled Comment

mpbro

Gordon, I hiked Mount Diablo yesterday from the west, along Moses Rock Ridge. I added a route page bearing the same name.

I see now how hard it is to make a route overview for this mountain. The route we did started from the lowest marked trailhead along North Gate road. But I can see that there are many other routes for the "real men" that start lower and have at least 3 miles more of distance each way.

On the other hand, it is possible to park at many points high on the Summit Road and high to the summit.

Maybe you could limit yourself to only including trails that are at least 4 miles in length and climb at least 3000 feet. Or not. ;-)

-Morgan
Posted Apr 27, 2003 12:16 pm

gordonyeUntitled Comment

gordonye

Morgan

Thanks for adding the new route. The routes section of this mountain is coming together quite nicely. I did the Back Canyon route a while ago which was fairly steep as well. It's true there are too many variations of trailheads, but a SP route page I think should normally start lowest and finish highest, while mentioning the intermediate trailheads. However if the lower parts are way too flat and long then I'd rather not hike it.
Posted Apr 28, 2003 12:57 pm

keemaUntitled Comment

keema

Good Job Gordon. I wouldn't have thought to hike it with out these pages
Posted Mar 8, 2003 8:52 pm

RachelUntitled Comment

Rachel

Another great page, and good pix. Cheers!
Posted May 25, 2004 10:03 pm

Gangolf HaubUntitled Comment

Gangolf Haub

Another nice page that stirs up old memories. My girlfriend went to Mount Diablo once alone, in 1990. She started to hike from the main summit but soon twisted her ankle, fell down andcouldn't move anymore. Dragged herself to one of the forest roads were she had seen a pickup going by in the morning.

at 6pm she was still missing and we alarmed rangers and police. It took another two hours and lots of driving to both gates, the summit, wherever until we heard from her again. The radio technicians, who had driven up in that pickup came down finally at around 8pm, found her and even took her back to Livermore where I was working!

All's well that ends well. She was severely sunburned but that was about all. Two days later she could walk again.
Posted Oct 25, 2004 5:25 pm

Kenzo OkawaUntitled Comment

Kenzo Okawa

Nice page!
Posted Nov 10, 2004 9:42 pm

The Defiant OneUntitled Comment

The Defiant One

You've done a great justice to Diablo. I wil add photos soon. Keep it up
Posted May 9, 2005 6:28 pm

cp0915Untitled Comment

cp0915

I cannot believe how good the views from Diablo's summit are. Nice page. The entrance fee, by the way, is now $6.

Posted May 31, 2005 12:23 pm

desainmeUntitled Comment

desainme

Quite a varied mountain. The pix coming across today were quite good.
Posted Oct 10, 2005 7:19 pm

JasonHUntitled Comment

JasonH

Good looking page. It seems you can be just about anywere in north and central california and you can see Mount Diablo.
Posted Feb 20, 2006 11:42 pm