Mount Evans at Sunset

Mount Evans at Sunset

Mount Evans at sunset from the vicinity of the Evans/Spalding saddle. July 14, 2005
RyanS
on Jul 15, 2005 1:55 pm
Image Type(s): Scenery
Image ID: 114899

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-5 of 5

Dave K - Jul 15, 2005 2:16 pm - Voted 10/10

Kudos!

This is a mighty fine shot!

CharlesD

CharlesD - Jul 15, 2005 3:17 pm - Voted 10/10

north face snow routes

So I take it the Evans northface routes are pretty well melted out now. Bummer. I meant to get up to do the Snave this season.

rpc

rpc - Jul 15, 2005 4:26 pm - Hasn't voted

awsome!

daaaaamn sweet shot.

The Lower Marmot

The Lower Marmot - Jul 15, 2005 10:46 pm - Voted 10/10

Nuts!

It looks like we have a 3-star on it... there ARE 158 other pictures of Mount Evans, and so I'd expected that it would be a duplicate or a triplicate or some other exotic form of repeat, I had to dig all the way back to October 1, 2002 to find this photo by peakwolf to find anything with similar composition. Subject matter-wise, there were probably 4 or 5 pictures of Mount Evans from Mount Spalding or from the ridge between them, but they tended to be poorly composed, out of focus, or otherwise drab or uninformative in comparison to this. May the vote be dropped tonight, and may many fresh 4 star votes replace it--Great shot!

RyanS

RyanS - Jul 16, 2005 8:13 pm - Hasn't voted

Thanks you guys!

Right time at the right place! The winds were hurting my ears, so I paused to put on my balaclava. As soon as I pulled it over my head and opened my eyes I said, "Holy s***!" Just in those few seconds, the light on Evans had gone from pretty to spectacular. I got my camera out and took this shot immediately. The light was this intense for only a minute because of some bands of clouds on the horizon intermittently blocking the sun.

If you have a free summer night after work, consider the Mount Evans Loop. I followed this route exactly except that I descended the Evans road (cutting off many of the switchbacks, of course!) because I didn't want to drop down the steep ridge from Evans directly to the lake in the dark. I left work at my usual 5:30, got to Summit Lake at 7:00, and I got back to my car at the lake by 10:00. Very fun to enjoy some alpine terrain after working all day!

Viewing: 1-5 of 5