Mount Flume Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-20 of 53
richdoug

richdoug - Sep 26, 2023 2:57 pm Date Climbed: Sep 20, 2023

Pemi Loop  Sucess!

peak 1 of 10 during a 4 day Pemi loop backpack trip

RockOn

RockOn - Oct 11, 2020 1:26 am Date Climbed: Oct 3, 2020

Fall Colors!  Sucess!

Great day for a climb!

technicolorNH

technicolorNH - May 22, 2016 12:14 am Date Climbed: May 21, 2016

Ascent via the Flume Slide trail  Sucess!

Two hours and fifty minutes to the summit from the Rt 3 trailhead. I wouldn't recommend this trail for novices but if you like scrambling, this is pretty good for the Northeast. The trail has close proximity to trees all the way to the ridge line so if scrambling on wet bedrock slabs isn't your thing there are options on either side. From the summit it took me forty three minutes to hop over to Liberty (which I have been on at least four times now) and then just a touch under two hours from there to the trailhead. The Liberty Springs trail is much easier to ascend and descend.

sredfern

sredfern - Nov 9, 2014 7:28 am Date Climbed: Nov 1, 2014

Tough climb through the slide  Sucess!

I bagged Flume and Liberty together on a rainy day down in the notch and snowy day on the summits. Doing the Flume Liberty loop I decided to ascend via Flume Slide and descend via Liberty Springs and it was a good choice. I climbed both of these in July as part of doing the full Pemi-Loop but I now needed to finish off an AT segment of the Liberty Springs trail so I came back and figured I re-bag both.

The flume slide trail was very hard since it was icy but the seeps had water running over the ice to make it even more treacherous. I worked hard and climbed it without traction but when I got to the ridge trail and some flat ground where I put on my microspikes for the rest of the trip and traction in the snow and ice was MUCH better. I wish I had done that before I reached the slide!

The two summits were beautiful in their fury covered in ice and snow with 25F temps and winds topping out at 28MPH that was pinging snow and sleet off my glasses.

The trail down Liberty Springs was much easier than Flume Slide. The campsite was filled with campers but I had decided to camp down in the valley anyways where the winds, snow and temps were more accommodating.

joseyinnet

joseyinnet - Aug 29, 2014 9:37 pm Date Climbed: Aug 29, 2014

Nice sustained scramble  Sucess!

Fun 1000' of scrambling, but it seems only class 2. Really no exposure, but some the most fun (and sustained) scrambling I've found since moving to the northeast.

Lenny72

Lenny72 - Aug 26, 2014 5:43 pm Date Climbed: Oct 12, 1999

Mount Flume Climb  Sucess!

Beautiful day and beautiful views from the top. Slippery with lots of scree near the summit.

LP

LP - Oct 15, 2013 12:04 pm Date Climbed: Oct 13, 2013

Bike/Hike up Flume  Sucess!

Biked to the Osseo trail and hiked from there. Walked in the clouds all day and got an awesome undercast view up top!

andrew hemmerling

andrew hemmerling - Aug 11, 2013 12:32 pm Date Climbed: Aug 10, 2013

a.m. solitude  Sucess!

Nice hike, took the Flume Slide Trail up, wicked tough. Early start gave me the summit all by myself.

Stephen Hall

Stephen Hall - Jul 31, 2013 9:36 am Date Climbed: Aug 21, 1998

Nh hike  Sucess!

Good hike

TinMan61 - Apr 7, 2013 10:43 am Date Climbed: Jul 15, 2012

Hot Humid Climb  Sucess!

Climbed via the Osseo Trail on one of the hottest days of the year.

omegaxx

omegaxx - Dec 11, 2012 1:34 pm Date Climbed: Mar 24, 2012

Flume Slide Trail  Sucess!

Challenging, but great fun! The exposure wasn't as great as I had anticipated, but maybe that was because I bypassed the trail where it was impossible to climb up with the ice and just bushwacked through the trees instead.

ljbailey

ljbailey - Nov 16, 2012 11:55 pm

nice peak  Sucess!

nice peak, I wanted to go down, but i was persuaded not to with a full pack. maybe will be a good route up in the winter!

tj3sticks

tj3sticks - Aug 28, 2012 7:17 am

Re: Flume Slide Trail

Hi, I was planning to do the Flume Slide. The slope of the slide portion was classified as a "class 3" What was your opinion of it?Thanks
Tom

Laron

Laron - Aug 21, 2012 10:38 am

Flume Slide Trail  Sucess!

Climbed up the Flume Slide Trail then traversed the ridgeline over to Mt. Garfield. The mountain running in the White Mountains is spectacular. This was a fun little scramble and very weird to be scrambling with trees all around.

JRaphaelson

JRaphaelson - Jun 25, 2012 11:39 am Date Climbed: Jan 7, 2012

Route Climbed: Flume Slide-Liberty Springs  Sucess!

Hiked Mt. Flume and Liberty via the loop around the two mountains. There was a ton of compacted snow already on the ground and this was tough even with crampons. But definitely worth it.

ape - Jun 21, 2012 4:44 pm Date Climbed: Aug 19, 2011

Pemi loop backpack  Sucess!

Did a Pemi Loop over 2.5 days with a couple of friends. Going counter clockwise, camped at Guyot and Garfield tent sites. Saw an awesome lightning over a town to the north storm from Garfield; got hailed on in a lightning storm on the way out on the last day. Had a bottle of Bowmore with us.

Next time: the slide!

Kristin5berry

Kristin5berry - Feb 28, 2012 2:04 am Date Climbed: Jan 11, 2009

many many times  Sucess!

Great & classic

LDuszer

LDuszer - Oct 3, 2011 6:44 pm Date Climbed: Oct 2, 2011

Mt. Flume & Liberty  Sucess!

Climbed via the Liberty Springs Trail and Franconia Ridge trail with my sister through constant rain, but we had fun!

Flattlander

Flattlander - Sep 21, 2011 5:03 pm

Iced-up Flume Slide!!  Sucess!

Solo, continued on over Liberty. "Not recommended in icy conditions" was all I needed. Late November, 2010, I got perfect conditions: snowy approach, but no need for snowshoes. Cold temps, fat ice on the slide part of the trail made it a low-angle ice climb. So fun and highly recommended. Spikes/crampons/ax. Don't fall.

Kristin5berry

Kristin5berry - Aug 12, 2011 11:27 pm Date Climbed: Aug 12, 2011

Up the flume slide  Sucess!

And over to liberty

Viewing: 1-20 of 53
Return to 'Mount Flume' main page