Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 49.97783°N / 124.15074°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6200 ft / 1890 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mt. Freda is one of the taller mountains of the Powell River/Sunshine Coast area. You are surrounded by great views of Jervis Inlet, Diadem Mountain, Lois Lake, Texada Island, and Powell River to name a few.

This is a good day hike on a well used trail. You can get to the trailhead in most vehicles although a 4x4 is recommended.

Water is hard to come by in the summer so make sure you pack plenty.

Getting There

On Hwy 101 about 18km south of Powell River, turn North onto Dixon Rd. The road will eventually turn to a gravel logging rd. The logging roads start out to be a little confusing because they are 1-way roads for several kilometers. Anyway, you follow what I think is goat lake main. About 12km from the highway, you'll get to the TinHat Junction. Turn right and head 800m to the next intersection. Turn left onto what I think is N Lois Lake Rd. Follow for about 6.5km where you'll take a left onto Stillwater Main. Follow Stillwater for 13km. You'll cross a creek and immediately after is a road called J-Branch. There should be a sign to Mt Freda.

There are 2 different trailheads. One is about 4-500m past J-Branch on the right. (I have not succeeded in finding this trail yet. The other trail is about 2.5km up J-Branch and is well marked.

The J-Branch trail goes straight up the side of a ridge where it joins the ridgeline trail. Follow the ridge toward the peak and pick a summit approach that looks fun.


Red Tape

Access is through active logging roads. Try to limit driving to off-hours and weekends.

Camping

This is usually a day hike, so camping shouldn't be an issue.

External Links

There is very little online documentation of this mountain.