Mount Giegerich Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Wandering Sole Images

Wandering Sole Images - Nov 17, 2011 12:28 pm Date Climbed: Oct 18, 2011

Saw what I went to see!  Sucess!

This time around, there was only one guest in the cabin and we decided to give Giegerich a try on a perfect blue-sky day. I was hoping to see that small lake unfrozen with snow all around it as I had pictured it after first seeing it. But with bigger lakes lower down freezing up, I didn't think this would be probable and just thought it would be a great day out regardless. We had to improvise a bit on our way there with snow obscuring where the trail would be exactly. It wasn't too bad, but a few boulder fields were awkward to travel over. We saw cougar tracks as we neared Lemon Pass and we pretty much had to follow the tracks exactly, as it's path was the best way to go across the slope we were on. Making our way up Giegerich was pretty much straightforward even with the snow. When we got to the top, I didn't even look over to the lake at first - I expected it to be frozen and I was looking at the Valhallas to the west. Then Beth told me I got my wish and that the lake was free of ice! I was so surprised when I looked over... sure enough! It was a silly idea I had got in my head after first being on Giegerich, but I followed the idea and was happy to be looking at what I had envisioned would be an amazing sight. Happy days! We also saw some wolverine tracks that traversed over the summit. After a full day in the snow, you'd think getting back to the cabin for some tea would be much needed, but it was such a nice warm day out, that it was very comfortable (and even quite warm) on the way back. You really couldn't ask for a better day in mid-October up there!

Wandering Sole Images

Wandering Sole Images - Nov 17, 2011 12:07 pm Date Climbed: Jul 29, 2009

Done along with Nansen  Sucess!

I went with a big group from the Kokanee Glacier Cabin up Giegerich this day. In fact, it was virtually everyone from the cabin that went on this outing. Maybe 15 people? When we were up there, we saw that a guy from the campground had surprisingly had the same idea for the day. Him and I traversed over to Nansen after. Seeing the small unnamed lake below us on Giegerich really struck me as a beautiful sight and I wanted to return some day and see it again when snow was all around but before the lake had frozen up. The views to the Valhallas was really memorable too.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Mount Giegerich' main page