Mount Guyot Comments

naderUntitled Comment

nader

Loved the beautiful winter pictures.
Posted Jan 22, 2004 3:26 pm

KaneUntitled Comment

Kane

Together with Bald Mountain, we have represented this area well. Bald is a hell of a mountain! What are your plans this upcoming season?
Posted Jan 24, 2004 11:35 am

naderUntitled Comment

nader

Still working through the details. I will send you an e-mail about my possible plans in the next few days.
Posted Jan 25, 2004 11:48 am

Alan EllisUntitled Comment

Alan Ellis

Your format is very original. Good page!
Posted Jan 22, 2004 5:04 pm

KaneUntitled Comment

Kane

Mr Ellis, when will be your first visit to Colorado after Breckenridge? Thanks for all the HTML code.
Posted Jan 24, 2004 11:33 am

Alan EllisUntitled Comment

Alan Ellis

I'm looking at coming out in May for a long weekend. I'd be up for anything.
Posted Jan 24, 2004 12:25 pm

The Lower MarmotUntitled Comment

The Lower Marmot

Great page!
Posted Jan 22, 2004 6:33 pm

KaneUntitled Comment

Kane

Posted Jan 24, 2004 10:52 am

KaneUntitled Comment

Kane

Sorry Mr Marmot, I thought I was replying to Alan Ellis, plus you can't edit these messages.

At any rate, thanks for the recent support of my pages. Are you planning nay trips to Colorado besides a potential Achonee trip?

Concerning Achonee, It is my personal opinion that this mountain would be a nightmare to take on in March. When I think of the standard route on Achonee, the one thing that comes to mind is that 2 mile, 3,850-ft ascent up the West Slopes. That's clearly the steepest slope that I remember ever doing. 2,500ft of that is a very dense forest of trees spaced about 2-3-ft apart, with no trail. That slope doesn't get any sun, so the potential for deep snow is real. I remember how much moss and lichen was hanging on those trees, I got the impression that the sun has trouble getting through. So the combo of deep snow and that steep slope makes for a nightmare day. I also think that avalanche danger could be a real possibility, that slope is clearly more than 35 degress. If anything were to go wrong you would be far and away from any help, plus if anything were to go wong in those trees they would never find you, its remote.

Another challenge would be locating the spot to leave the Arapaho Pass Trail to start the ascent up the west slopes. It may surprise you when you see how steep the slope is as well. I know, I keep alluding that the steepness of the slope. I remember having trouble with my balance a few times, having to reach up for anything to get a hold of to keep myself from slipping on the pine needle, covered slopes.

Having 5-7 people with you leads to potential issues concerning time. It also leads to potentenial of someone thinking you are crazy for leading them up that mountain. I would expect a few to bail on you unless these guys are hardcore animals.

Lastly, you would have to contact the ranger district to find out if the Monarch TH is accesible in march.

If you want a better alternative that still gets you the view of Lone Eagle Cirque, I would highly recommend an ascent up Mount Toll. Mount Toll is probably the most eye appealing mountain in that area,plus I know people do it in spring all the time. I thought the view from Toll were as good as anything in the Brainard Lake area.

That's my 2 cents-sorry it took so long to get back to you.
Posted Jan 24, 2004 11:33 am

JonBradfordUntitled Comment

JonBradford

Kane,

This may be one of my favorites of the pages you have done. I absolutely love the large sunrise shot in the overview. The historic info is very nice as well. I hope you don't mind if I add a few photos to your fine page... but I must admit everything I have pales next to the above mentioned shot. Nice work. Nice to make your aquiantence.

Jon
Posted Jan 22, 2004 7:53 pm

KaneUntitled Comment

Kane

Thanks for the nice vote. Good photo additions. Got any plans the next couple of weeks?
Posted Jan 24, 2004 10:51 am

GrantUntitled Comment

Grant

excellent page Kane...
Posted Jan 22, 2004 9:42 pm

KaneUntitled Comment

Kane

Whats up Grant! We missed having you that day, you would have loved that nasty little snow traverse to reach the summit.

How's the leg?
Posted Jan 24, 2004 10:49 am

GrantUntitled Comment

Grant

Kane - What's up,

Boy,,, Guyot looked like a lot of fun and I wish I could of made it. Only being able to LOOK at the pics all of you are submitting I might as well be living in Iowa right now. The swelling has not receeded at all and I haven't been out to see how it would feels. I can hike on dry ground but for now I have to stay off the snow. I plan on doing somthing in the snow the week before the Quandary climb to see if I will be able to make it. This really SUCKS!!!!!
Posted Jan 25, 2004 12:00 am

Aaron JohnsonUntitled Comment

Aaron Johnson

See comments from other SP members! Well done! Nuff said.
Posted Jan 22, 2004 10:31 pm

AndyUntitled Comment

Andy

That's cool that you guys met Jon up there. Was that planned, or a coincidence?
Posted Jan 23, 2004 2:49 pm

KaneUntitled Comment

Kane

Thanks for the vote Andy. I informed Jon about a week prior of our intentions, but never thought about him wanting to join up. I think he just decided to give it a shot and see what happened, the worst case scenario would be that he would gain that summit. Also, I never informed him as to which route we were attempting but he guessed right by heading up Georgia Pass.

Are you going out to The Park with Nelson soon?

Do you have a place to stay in Breck? I kind of put that trip on the backburner for now. I'm not sure if I'm going. I do want to go but I'm still looking for a place to crash on the floor. I'll e-mail Nelson to see if he's interested.
Posted Jan 24, 2004 9:41 am

KaneUntitled Comment

Kane

Thanks Jim. Got any plans the next couple of weeks?
Posted Jan 24, 2004 10:43 am

NelsonUntitled Comment

Nelson

Of course I had to have another, and closer, look at this page right away. Very nice. I like the naming information. Cool mountain.

Great weekend!
Posted Feb 22, 2004 9:03 pm

brentaUntitled Comment

brenta

I saw this impressive summit yesterday for the first time from Grizzly Peak. Your page captures the beauty of Mount Guyot and is rich of useful info. Did you get an idea whether the south ridge route from French Pass would make a good winter ascent? Thanks for posting!

A couple of minor details, the first in the main page and the second in the route page:

If your lucky -> if you are lucky

vise versa -> vice versa