Mount Holmes Comments

cp0915Stunning area

cp0915

I've gotta get over there!
Posted May 16, 2007 10:08 am

gjagielsRe: Stunning area

gjagiels

Thanks very much! I think Mount Holmes is right up your alley :-)

Greg
Posted May 16, 2007 1:18 pm

DeanOn my to do list

and nice to see you post this one. I'd like to do all of the Henry's including Pennel, Ellsworth and Hillers. What an interesting area that very few really know about. Very nice page as always.
Posted May 16, 2007 11:40 am

gjagielsRe: On my to do list

gjagiels

Thanks Dean! Same here, the Henry's are really neat, and an added bonus is that 5 of them have the 2000+ feet of prominence. The summit log was from 1996, had roughly 10-15 signatures in it, I guess this one intimidates some people from even trying!

Greg
Posted May 16, 2007 1:22 pm

ScottCool

Scott

Mount Holmes is one cool mountain and gets ignored. Have you done Elsworth?
Posted May 16, 2007 12:41 pm

gjagielsRe: Cool

gjagiels

Thanks very much Scott! Definately a peak that makes you want to climb, I wish some of my pictures came out a little better, hopefully others will add some :-) Yep, I did Mount Ellsworth the next day, another really nice looking mountain, I felt the summit was a little disappointing though, rounded, trees and with that station. There was actually some fun class 3 scrambling from the base of it... Still IMO Mount Holmes was a better peak :-)
Posted May 16, 2007 1:28 pm

ScottRe: Cool

Scott

with that station.

That's what I was going to ask about if you climbed it. Anyway, since that station is up there (installed by helicopter), some yahoos put a "no trespassing" sign on the access road to the peak. The peak is 100% public land with no private land for miles and miles around.

I am curious if that no trespassing sign is still there? Makes me mad that someone put it there.
Posted May 16, 2007 1:49 pm

gjagielsRe: Cool

gjagiels

The road I started up, was between Holmes and Ellsworth, but closer to Mount Ellsworth and headed in a southeast direction, it was a drivable road with high clearance (I don't see it on Topozone)... went all the way to the base of Mount Ellsworth and I didn't see any No Tresspassing signs on that, I can't believe they would do that!

Though the summit log was freshly placed in March 2007 by Mike Garratt, so I assume they've taken the older ones...
Posted May 16, 2007 2:10 pm