Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.14949°N / 117.4154°W
Additional Information County: Lander
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 8649 ft / 2636 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Moses is the highpoint of the Fish Creek Mountains in Lander County, Nevada. It is ranked #44 on the Nevada P2k list. It is a class I climb utilizing jeep tracks and cross country travel.

Getting There

Home Station Gap(HSG) is a good trailhead for climbs of both Mount Moses and Cain mountain. Take Hwy 305 north about 40 miles out of Austin or Hwy 305 south from Interstate-80 at Battle Mountain. Just north of mile marker 72 there is an Antelope Valley sign, turn west here and proceed 10 miles on a good gravel road to a left bearing curve about 1.5 miles passed the Cottonwood Ranch. At the curve take a right on a dirt road that shortly crosses a cattle guard and then curves west. follow for 4.5 miles to Home Station Gap (elev. 5100ft). A high clearance vehicle is recommended for the dirt road. 4wd is not necessary in dry conditions.

Route: From HSG proceed NNE on a fenceline jeep road for about 2.4 miles
to a ridge at 6000ft, from here a faint jeep track continues NE along the ridge and fades away around 6200ft. Continue along the ridge following sporadic cow paths through scattered sagebrush. At about 7400ft the ridgeline loses 250 ft elevation to a saddle with a subpeak (elev 7800ft)directly across. Either drop down to the saddle and sidehill around the north side through knee high sagebrush and faint cow paths to another saddle at 7600ft, or climb the subpeak and drop down 200ft to the saddle . From the 7600ft saddle it is a moderate climb in open country to the summit. Register is in a glass jar. 15 mile roundtrip hike from HSG.

Red Tape

Did not notice any "No Trespassing" signs on my hike. There are several ranches in the nearby area.

Camping

Car camped at Home Station Gap

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.