Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Andy

Andy - Jan 17, 2006 1:13 pm - Voted 10/10

Trip Report Comment

Nice TR Scott - I was very curious to see how this trip would turn out.

Brad Snider

Brad Snider - Jan 17, 2006 8:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Trip Report Comment

What a difference the seasons make in the Colorado mountains! There is a nice, easy to follow switchbacking trail traversing those cliffs in the summer; I can imagine how difficult it must have been for you to find a way with all the snow though!



Sounds like you had a great trip, thanks for sharing.



Oh, and Stuart, this one's my bad :-) :

"This left me with the feeling that a summitpost trip was like internet dating for mountaineers: you weren't going to really know what you were getting into until after the first camp!"

Denali20k

Denali20k - Jan 17, 2006 9:53 pm - Hasn't voted

Trip Report Comment

Hi Brad, take no offiense. I am still in awe that you guys summited Horseshoe that day! Sometimes you what you get with internet dating for mountaineers is people you can't keep up with, in spite of the objective difficulties.



I hadn't quite finished my thoughts on the climb. I am moving to Maine, and my main goal for the Holy Cross trip was to have a memorable time and a safe trip; my summit fever wasn't burning as hot as Scott's and Jon's from the start, and like Alan, I was suffering from the remnants of a cold. If any of us had slipped over a cliff in a sluff of deep powder snow, that nice memory would not have been possible. I think the crux of this trip, as Jon mentioned, was that we came together, in spite of not knowing each other, and did the right thing for group safety.



The Horseshoe day trip was a horse of a different color: I felt quite comfortable retreating on my own the few miles to the car; the rules of the game and the distances were much simplier, so it didn't make much difference that we were simul-soloing the mountain. That we were all there together on a tough weather one day climb of Horseshoe did increase the safety factor, and one person did offer to go back with me, which I declined. Happy climbing, Stuart

crzyjt

crzyjt - Jan 18, 2006 5:31 pm - Hasn't voted

Trip Report Comment

I'm thinking about heading back up to this area in March over my spring break to give this another try. I may attempt to go up cross creek from the road or over the pass again possibly using the snowmobile outfitter. either way, i think it will involve skis, a 5-day commitment, and a good weather report. Summiting this peak in winter would be an awesome accomplishment and a very doable one in the right conditions.

Brad Snider

Brad Snider - Jan 21, 2006 7:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Trip Report Comment

Stuart, no offense taken. I agree with your comments.



Also, nice to see those pics of the Holy Cross trip. Really gives a feel for the conditions you guys were facing.



Best wishes for your new life in Maine!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, I don't think I'll be able to get off enough time this winter for an attempt at Holy Cross, but I agree crzyjt: five days sounds like a more realistic timeframe. Good luck with your attempt.



-Brad

Alpinist

Alpinist - Jan 24, 2006 11:37 am - Hasn't voted

Trip Report Comment

Nice report Scott. Glad you were able to keep your feet on the ground this trip.

Scott

Scott - Jan 27, 2006 10:28 am - Hasn't voted

Trip Report Comment

SCott, nice trip report. Out of curiousity, how much would skis have helped in the snow conditions? I only wonder because I haven't done much snowshoeing in truly deep powder snow. Would it have mattered?



IMHO, I think skies would have made things faster to Halfmoon Pass, but beyond that, they would have been a hinderance, instead of helping.

HacksawA3 - Jan 5, 2021 3:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Holy Cross in winter 83'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDY8Q0VPkRM

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Return to 'Mount of the Holy Cross: January 2006 attempt' main page