Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 16.5014°S / 151.739°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2385 ft / 727 m
Sign the Climber's Log

 

Overview

Mount Otemanu is the remnant of the ancient volcano which formed the island of Bora Bora in French Polynesia and its highest peak on Bora Bora. As of this writing it has not been climbed.

 

 

Getting There

Probably the easiest way is to fly to Tahiti and then fly to Bora Bora, although Bora Bora is a popular destination for cruise ships. 

 

 

Route

A trail (the start is overgrown, presumably to discourage self guided climbs) leads to the top of neighboring Mt. Pahia. The story is that attempts to climb Mt. Otemanu have failed because the rock is too crumbly. Otemanu is vertical for some distance on all sides except for a buttress to the north east, which presumably is where past attempts have been directed. The shortest vertical wall (about 100 to 200 ft high) is on the west side of the north face and could be reached through about 1/4 mile of tropical growth from the summit of Mt. Pahia.

 

 

Red Tape

Add Red Tape text here.

 

 

When to Climb

When it rains the trail to the top of Mt. Pahia is muddy and slippery. The best time would be during the driest months of August and September.

 

 

Camping

Bora Bora is essentially a resort island. The only commercial campground is on the southern tip of the island. 

 

 

External Links

Add External Links text here.