Mount Russell, East Ridge, Rockwell Variation

Mount Russell, East Ridge, Rockwell Variation

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 36.59003°N / 118.29067°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Sep 6, 2014
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Fall

Mt. Russell
Four Fourteeners. Langley, Muir, Whitney and Russell from Mt. Carillon

MMt. Russell's East Ridge via the Rockwell Variation, Sept. 6, 2014

Mike and I, on our glacial quest for California's fourteener's decided on Mount Russell for our tenth summit.  We were joined by my son, Spencer, who flew in from Flagstaff for the trip. Researching the approach routes, and being data/beta geeks, we found the descriptions of the Rockwell Variation sorely lacking.  This is our attempt to help.  Hopefully it does, minus the amusing and entertaining personal notes of most of the other descriptions.



After the steep but fairly straightforward trail up to Upper Boy Scout Lake we chose the Rockwell Variation up to the East Ridge. 

Mt. Russell from Upper Boy Scout Lake
Our version of the Rockwell Variation


Traverse the north side of Upper Boy Scout Lake to near the inlet and start up the canyon following faint, steep, sandy trails moving up and staying to the right side of the drainage. What there is of a trail disappears often into the talus and scree and reappears when it gets sandy again. When you pass the second patch of green you will head back to the west again staying to the right side and gradually moving up towards the rock bands above through horribly loose sand. At this point we started taking three slightly different tracks so as not to knock any of the extremely loose rock down on each other.

Once at the base of the rock band we took the first feasible looking route up to avoid any more of the sand. Our route took us up and right on some third class ledges below some dark water stains and then back left above the stains.

Mt. Russell
Our routes through the rock bands

 
 The climbing was not difficult but route finding and avoiding loose rock and sandy slab climbing proved to be a little more challenging. It appeared that if you went further up the canyon the rock band became less challenging but would increase the tedious slog through the loose sand and scree. 

Once above the rock band you get into the upper sand and scree slope heading towards the base of the head wall. Once again we took three separate tracks to avoid any rockslide on one another. This upper slope is incredibly loose. Of the 'two steps up, one step back' variety. As you gain altitude a small chute becomes visible up high on your right. Move past this and continue towards the base of the head wall until you reach a big, wide chute angling up and right.  Basically, keep going up until there aren’t any chutes remaining.

Mt. Russell
Gaining the chute

 
Head up this chute, continuing with the loose sand and rock. There is a little more solid rock in this chute but not much. Follow this chute to the top where you will find yourself just below the start of the East Ridge and above the plateau leading up from the normal approach which we used as our descent route after also summiting Mt. Carillon.

Mt. Russell
A little break at the top of the chute


Scramble up a short distance to reach the East Ridge. Once there start on up, moving to the right, (north side ledges), whenever the ridge becomes too exposed or too hard. You’ll reach the eastern summit first, and scramble up and over it to reach the true western summit. This is a spectacular climb. No ropes required if you don't mind the exposure.  

Mt. Russell
East Ridge from Mt. Carillon
 

I can’t say if we would recommend the Rockwell Variation over the normal approach.  It was incredibly loose, with lots of rockfall potential but not technically hard or dangerous otherwise.  The normal approach has the advantage of at least having something of a path, (or many paths), which the Rockwell lacks once you gain the rock band. The normal approach is just as loose minus the rockfall potential.  If you want a little more adventure before you hit the East Ridge, Rockwell.  If you just want to get to the East Ridge, probably the normal route is the way to go. 

Mt. Russell
Mike, low on the East Ridge, looking east, Tulainyo Lake below

Mt. Russell
Spencer, about halfway to the East Summit

Mt. Russell
Spencer on the East Summit, Dan just below
Mt. Russell
Spencer eyeing the West Summit

Mt. Russell
Spencer and Dan heading from the East to the West Summit
Mt. RussellSpencer, Dan and Mike relaxing on the West Summit




Comments

No comments posted yet.