Mount Tom (Indiana Dunes)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 41.66238°N / 87.0567°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 760 ft / 232 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Mount Tom and the Indiana Dunes

Tucked between steel mills and power plants in Northern Indiana is a ribbon of southern Lake Michigan shoreline called the Indiana Dunes. A National Park has been recently created to preserve sections of these dunes, and tucked within that new park is the venerable Indiana Dunes State Park, a crown jewel of lake side duneland.  It contains a long shoreline and a depth of large sandy forested dunes whose winding trails bring one a million mental miles from Chicago, only an hour’s drive away.  Wildlife abounds – I saw a Red Fox this winter, and there always seems to be birdsong.

The 3 Dune Challenge

Mount Tom is no alpine endeavor, only 180 feet or so above the Lake Michigan shore where most begin.  The State Park has therefore packaged Mount Tom with nearby fellow dunes Mount Holden and Mount Jackson to create the ‘3 Dune Challenge’, a steep and scenic circuit of these large dunes with over 500 feet of elevation gain/loss over 1.5 miles.  I think most SPers will want to explore more of the park before finishing with the three sandy summits, so that is what I will describe below. 

Getting There

From I-94 between Chicago and Detroit get off north on IN State Route 49 by Chesterton IN.  Take this route straight into the park, and park by the large building that marks the beach area.

Route

The park’s trail system is a bit complex and purely numeric (eg ‘9’), and there are several trails to Mount Tom and its brothers.  I do think you should bring a trail map so you know what the numbers mean, and be aware that sometimes trails to/from the shoreline are not well marked, so keep an eye open.  Use trails also abound.  Remember the lake is North.

Trail Map: Indiana Dunes State Park Trail Map

Start at the beautiful Lake Michigan shoreline and travel east along its beautiful sand and rock beaches. 

Lake Michigan Winter Shoreline
Lake Michigan Winter Shoreline

Trail 8 on the right brings you directly up to Mount Tom, if you wish. 

Continuing further on the lakeshore until Trail 4 or 7 will get you somewhere between Mount Holden and Mount Tom (this trail easy to miss).

I recommend instead a longer nearly 2 mile trip along the shore to Trail 9 and then bearing right, which takes you atop the dune ridges and back along part of the shore you just traveled, giving expansive views.

Up Trail 9 - Indiana Dunes State Park
Up Trail 9 - Indiana Dunes State Park
Dune Ridge Viewpoint
Dune Ridge Viewpoint
Views of Lake from Trail 9
Views of Lake from Trail 9
Dune Ridge Trail
Dune Ridge Trail

 

Lake View - Warmer Winter
Lake View - Warmer Winter

Eventually Trail 9 will twist its way inland for a few miles, where it will intersect with trail 8 and its 3 Dune Challenge.

And it is a challenge.  The loose sandy trail in warmer months and some quite steep up and downs are a nice workout.  Winter can be easier or tougher, depending on the trail’s ice/snow conditions, and your footwear.  And Mount Tom on Trail 8 is flanked by huge stair systems.

But each summit is a dune with a view.

Mount Jackson Summit
Mount Jackson Summit
Up Mt Holden
Up Mt Holden
Mt Holden
Mt Holden
Mt Tom
Mt Tom
Coming Down Mount Tom
Coming Down Mount Tom

Red Tape

Indiana Dunes State Park Gate Fee
$7 - noncommercial vehicles with Indiana license plates, every day, including holidays.
$12 - noncommercial vehicles with out-of-state license plates, every day, including holidays.

When to Climb

The beach area is VERY popular on hot summer weekends due to its large swimming beach at the trail’s beginning.  I recommend weekdays or non-Summer weekends.  Winters can be snowy here due to lake effect snow squalls, making for good snowshoeing on some days – but you may need microspikes once trails are beat down.  You are near a huge metroplex so any day can be crowded – still it is much less than you would think for such a wonderful area.

Camping

138 spots, with electric.

History and External Links

The dune is named after Lt. Tom Brady, who in the American Revolutionary War lead a small raid from Cahokia in southern Illinois against British allied Indians in what is now southern Michigan.  A running battle through the Indiana Dunes occurred when the British Indian forces followed him, and captured him nearby.

See Lt Tom Brady and Battle of Petit Fort/Trail Creek

IN State Park info

Summitpost Page on Indiana Dunes National Park: Indiana Dunes National Park