Mount Vesuvius / Monte Vesuvio Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
om

om - Aug 18, 2005 5:15 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Monte Vesuvio meteo :



to get the link don't copy the 3\: <\a href="http://www.tempoitalia.it/meteocitta/previsione.php?reg=campania&loc=vesuvio" \> Monte Vesuvio meteo <\/a>

desainme

desainme - Aug 20, 2005 11:23 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

I think the sections Red Tape through Mountain Conditions could be written so as to be more respectful and charitable toward the Neapolitans.



When the southern Appalachians were done, no where was it suggested that the inhabitants stereotypically behaved as in the film Deliverance nor that the police were buffoons such as portrayed inSmokey and the Bandit.

Proterra

Proterra - Aug 21, 2005 8:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Just got back from Germany, see that people are taking the piss at me.

A few things i've got to say about this:



First, i'm NOT attacking Italy/Italians with those comments. Most experiences i've had with Italians are very good, and Italy is a beautiful country.

BUT, everything seems to be mismanaged in Naples/Vesuvio.

Imagine driving for more than 3 hours one-way, only to find out that you have to drive all the way up to a parking lot at 980 meters to park, instead of starting out low, because for no apparent reason they've closed off all the trails.

Then they charge you to park your car on the shoulder of the road, charge you 6,50 per person to walk up a trail to the crater rim, and that's it.

Moni mentioned something about some drunken marines or so, who fell into the crater, which might be a reason to limit access to the crater rim, but why the trail network on the lower slopes????

And they tell a lot of crap about the volcano showing signs of activity lately, this being the reason of the closures, but the observatory (whom i'm more likely to believe) says the exact opposite.



So yeah, i tried to be funny with some stuff, which i'm willing to change (like the possibility to bribe park rangers), some stuff is deadly serious, which i'm NOT willing to change (Public transport running way off schedule)

But, if i'm going to change anything which i tried to be funny with, i am going to mention the mismanagement of the park in a more serious way. Not to be derogratory of Naples in any way, but people do need to know what they're getting into when they're planning a day of hiking in the area.



Clint.



Proterra

Proterra - Aug 25, 2005 8:06 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

on the left of the page, checked it out and it seems to work allright

Proterra

Proterra - Aug 25, 2005 8:08 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Well i have deleted everything that could be considered offensive.

Proterra

Proterra - Aug 25, 2005 8:17 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

The Naples subway, besides being excessively crowded at some times, generally runs on time, So does the Circumvesuviana, but that's a tourist railway.

Trenitalia and the bus system in Naples is different, though.

Public transport in this region is dirt cheap, the way it should be, so that's definately a plus.

SpiderSavage

SpiderSavage - Sep 28, 2011 10:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Update - Sept 2011

I took the train from Rome to Naples on a Sunday (limited and full on weekends). Got there at 11:00 AM
Jumped on the Circumvesviana train at Napoli Central headed towards Pompei. 4 Euro round trip.
Noticed the signs and jumped off at Ercolano Scavi (Herculanium). The 9th stop. Much closer than Pompei.
Out the front door of the station on the left is Vesuvio Espress. A bus survice that will take you to the top for 10 euro and they will handle the park entrance fee which is now 8 euro. They have the whole place wired and took us to the top of the road while other buses were much lower.
There were hordes of people hiking up the half mile or so to the top. Like Yosemite Falls mid day. The driver gave us 1-1/2 hrs.

Note: the tourist route does not take you to a high point. You'll need to ditch the trail in a low key way to high point.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Mount Vesuvius / Monte Vesuvio' main page