Mount Waas Comments

DeanUntitled Comment

Another one on my hit list. Mt. Peale is also there.
Posted Nov 16, 2003 10:06 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

I truly enjoyed doing Mt. Waas on July 6th, a great time of the year to do these peaks but a hot time down in Arches. I did Mt. Peale on the 5th and loved this whole range.
Posted Dec 23, 2005 11:02 am

ScottUntitled Comment

Scott

If you are in Arches in the summer, and want to cool off, just hike Couthouse Wash below the Courthouse Towers and highway. Lots of nice little waterfalls and swim/wading pools to cool off in.
Posted Dec 27, 2005 2:42 pm

desainmeUntitled Comment

desainme

I was going to suggest that you add this to your list of 12ers but I notice that you did some time ago. Nice choice.
Posted Mar 17, 2005 3:04 pm

seth@LOKIWaas in the Ute language

seth@LOKI

I asked a Gloria Thompson of the Fort Duchesne Northern Utes. She said that Waas is Ute for "man." "Mike-Waas" is the way to say hello to a male Ute. I'm not sure that she is correct aout the intended name for the peak, but I'll pass it along.

She also said Tukanikavatz means "one who stands up tall."

btw- Ute is borrowed from the Shoshone language.
Posted Oct 11, 2007 3:44 pm

ScottRe: Waas in the Ute language

Scott

Thanks for the info.

Since old maps label the peak as Mount Nass or Nas, I assumed Waas was named after WAAS. If not, it was one heck of a coincidence to have both names match the names of the old (NAS) and new navigation (WAAS) systems.

My Waas was also the main heligraph station and major survey point of the La Sals. Would be interesting to find out the origin of the name.

I'll include the info of the possible Ute origin on the page.
Posted Oct 11, 2007 5:10 pm

seth@LOKII could be wrong.

seth@LOKI

I could be wrong about both Waas and Tuk. I told Gloria the names and she translated into Ute. She didn't have any historical reference for these peaks. ? I thought I'd mention it. I see you have "where the sun sets for Tuk. You are of course welcome to mention it, but I wouldn't call it anything but a possible meaning.

BTW I've also heard sereal different titles for the Grand Mesa in Ute; "Land of departed souls" (or spirits) Thunder Mountain, and Emerald Top.
Posted Oct 13, 2007 12:28 pm

rhaydonClimbing It

rhaydon

How long would it take to climb from Beaver Basin to the peak and back? would you need to get there early? if so what time would be a good start?
Posted Mar 26, 2011 3:58 pm