Mount Washington (Skagit)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 48.30396°N / 122.10617°W
Additional Information County: Skagit
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2698 ft / 822 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Washington is a low elevation peak located near the southern boundary of Skagit County, neighboring to Stimson Hill in Snohomish County, located in Washington State. Stimson Hill is the more popular choice of the two peaks, as it is one of Washington's Top 200 most prominent peaks. Mount Washington is a worthy side-trip at a minimum, with a straightforward and non-technical summit approach.
Mount Washington

With 2698' elevation and ~740' of prominence, Mount Washington is a minor peak in terms of Cascade peaks. However, the peak has its benefits. First, the peak is located near the city of Arlington and I-5, making the drive to the "trailhead"/starting point closer than many other peak choices. Second, with a series of logging roads leading up to all but the final ~20 feet of elevation to the summit, the route is non-technical. Third, the peak is open to hikers and other outdoor enthusiasts year-round. This is especially important during snowy months while other peaks have avalanche dangers but the standard summit approach for Mount Washington does not.
Mount Washington SummitBriefly heading off-road to summit...

Getting There

FROM INTERSECTION OF INTERSTATE-5 AND HWY 530 (near Arlington, WA):
1) Drive east along Highway 530.
2) After 3.9 miles, turn left (north) onto Highway 9.
3) After 3.1 miles, turn right (east) onto Grandview Road.
4) After 4.6 miles, turn left (north) onto Cedarvale Loop Road.
5) After ~1.5 miles, shortly after a rightward bend in the road crossing Rock Creek, there is a yellow gate at an uphill-trending side-road on the left (north) side of Cedarvale Loop Road.
6) Park near the gate or along the road, but do not block the gate or passage for it. This road is used for active logging operations, as well as an access road for several local residencies.

Standard Hiking Route

SEE MAP (BELOW) FOR DETAILS AND LETTER REFERENCE POINTS:
Mount Washington RouteMount Washington Route Map


A: Entrance Gate

B: After 0.5 miles, a side-road is encountered on the right/east (~1050' elevation). Continue straight.

C: After 0.6 miles further, the road splits (~1700' elevation). Veer left, following the main logging road heading upslope.

D: After 0.4 miles further, the road splits again (~2000' elevation). Continue straight.
NOTE: The road to the right heads towards the Stimson Hill summit.

E: After 0.9 miles further, the road splits (~1950' elevation). Veer left/west.

F: After 0.1 miles further (crossing the saddle connecting Mount Washington to Stimson Hill), the road splits (~1900' elevation). Veer left/south, to begin heading south along the eastern slopes of Mount Washington.

G: After 0.5 miles further, a side-road heads uphill to the right/southwest (~2200' elevation). Turn onto the side-road, which briefly heads southwest prior to heading north.

H: After 0.4 miles further, a side-road heads uphill to the left/southwest (~2550' elevation). Turn onto the side-road, which briefly heads southwest around a minor forested hill prior to heading north to the summit within 0.1 miles.

I: The summit (2698' elevation) is located on the left/west side of the logging road, ~20 feet higher than the road in a forested area. No outward views.

HIKING DISTANCE (NOT INCLUDING STIMSON HILL): 7.0 Miles (Roundtrip)
HIKING DISTANCE (INCLUDING STIMSON HILL): 11.0 Miles (Roundtrip)

Red Tape

No permits or fees or required to hike/snowshoe Mount Washington. Potential users are encouraged to only visit the area on weekends and holidays, when logging activity is at a minimum.
Mount WashingtonHeading south along the eastern slopes of the peak...

Camping

As the area is used for active logging operations, no camping is allowed.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.