Mount Washington via Tuckerman and The Great Gulf.

Mount Washington via Tuckerman and The Great Gulf.

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 44.27060°N / 71.3047°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 23, 2005
I have wanted to do an overnight climb to Mount Washington for quite awhile. I started from Pinkham Notch to Tuckerman ravine. The weather was fantastic. I was afraid I would have too much "company", but fortunately, the trail was not to crowded. Tuckerman Ravine was beautiful as always. There was still a bit of snow. After refueling at the summit with the multitudes and crying babies, I followed the Gulfside Trail to Mount Clay Loop Trail. This was my first time on this side of Mount Washington. The views of the Northern Presentials and the Great Gulf are incredible. I was thinking of summiting Mount Jefferson but I didn't have it in me. I continued on my planned route to the Sphinx Trail. The trail is off the beaten path. It is not clearly marked. There are supposed to be primitive camp sights along the trail, though I never found one. There was a lot of water along and on the trail. Many small cascades. Very lush. I kept on, looking for a camp site. I eventually found one a little north of the junction with the Great Gulf trail. The next morning I followed the Great Gulf trail south to Mount Washington. A lot of stream hiking. I eventually came to Spaulding Lake. This is a real jewel but I had to press on with the headwall coming into view. The route up the Head wall is incredible. Again a lot of water. I stopped at one cascade to filter some water. There were many wild flowers. Some I have not seen on the other side of the mountain. I finally reached the top. I was exhilerated and totally spent. I had nothing left in me. I slowly limped to the summit and took the van down. I would never have made the hike back. I must get in better.shape Even though my legs still ache as I write this, I am glad I made the trip.

Comments

No comments posted yet.