Mount Washington Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-20 of 497
Team_Zigbot

Team_Zigbot - Aug 7, 2023 8:50 am

Re: US State Highpoint 16/50

I know what your saying about West Virginia roads, we took Rt250 in a 35' RV towing a GMC Envoy, the curves were intense.

Team_Zigbot

Team_Zigbot - Aug 7, 2023 8:45 am

Bucket List Visit - Mt Washington  Sucess!

This was a bucket list item that I wanted to visit for over 30 years. We also collect USGS Benchmarks and logged that too. We also got to log the WebCam Cache on the deck. And icning on the cake we nabbed the penny masher too.

We drove to the parking lot and walked to the top and waited our turn to at the "official" peak. It was a beautiful day and a fun time on the summit.

ToqWatts

ToqWatts - Aug 3, 2023 8:17 am Date Climbed: Jul 21, 2023

Cold and Windy

A very cold, windy, and foggy day. We didn't climb for that reason, but drove to the summit, and walked to highpoint.

pjskeleton

pjskeleton - May 29, 2023 11:48 am Date Climbed: Jun 14, 2021

US State Highpoint 16/50  Sucess!

Rode my motorcycle to the top! (Also rode to all three of the June 11th ones trailheads or parking areas). All the guides and people around said riding up would be dangerous and that the road is narrow and windy (and windy), but US50 in West Virginia is significantly more dangerous, with steeper curves, ruined pavement, elevation changes, blind corners, and more. The mountain road up Mt. Washington is tame by comparison, if you’ve driven or rode on the Blue Ridge Parkway it’s just a much longer section of the twisty bits, with increasing elevation.

Nothing to say about the summit that hasn’t been said by everyone else. Got the sticker, put it on the front fender. 16/50 done.

Joel Hopper

Joel Hopper - May 8, 2023 3:56 pm Date Climbed: May 7, 2023

Bluebird skies

Ice from the 1st mile of the trail head going up Tuckermans ravine trail. Turned to snow at the start of Lionshead and it was a snow route to the top. Ice axe & crampons recommended. Still don’t understand why micro spikes are all the rage. 30’s with 50mph winds on top gusts to 70.

Jowzynkyn

Jowzynkyn - Oct 23, 2022 8:47 am Date Climbed: Oct 16, 2022

Final Cog Day 2022  Sucess!

It's incredible to think this mountain was anywhere from 18,000 to 22,000 feet in elevation. Phenomenal and completely worth it!

Chasing.Bowman

Chasing.Bowman - Jun 28, 2022 4:02 pm Date Climbed: Nov 15, 2020

solo highpoint   Sucess!

winter

Sjboatwright

Sjboatwright - Jan 13, 2022 10:40 am

Speed Climb  Sucess!

It took me about 4.5 hours round trip, with about 30 mins of photos and videos.

Unlike most of any climb I have done in Northeast; the amount of time above tree line was spectacular!

WalterMitty - Jan 7, 2022 7:30 am Date Climbed: Jun 7, 2021

Jack, Ben, Jeff Summit Mt Washington  Sucess!

Summited on a great summer day, near the end of Ben and I's Cohos thru hike. Ben's dad joined until the saddle near Mt Roosevelt I believe.

hvigner - Dec 26, 2021 9:50 am Date Climbed: Dec 19, 2021

Lion's Head route december ascent  Sucess!

Great conditions and heavy snow

JLuthanen

JLuthanen - Sep 30, 2021 8:21 pm Date Climbed: Sep 25, 2021

Post heavy rainfall success via Tuck's  Sucess!

As a gimpy climber with a fused ankle, I am patting myself on the back for this 4k effort. I typically average 1k ft / hr in the PNW. After staying in Gorham, NH just up the road the night before close to the trailhead, I arrived at the trailhead for a clear fall day at 7:00 a.m. with the parking lot almost already full. I took off like a shot from pinkham and bypassed several smaller two and three person groups within the first mile and a half, overtaking a few others on the way up. First bridge in about 30 minutes, shelters near the base around 50 minutes or so. I was very slow for the last .8 and particularly for the top .5mi as I blew my wad early in the hike, but wrapped up tuckerman's ravine to the summit in just over 3 hours. Eyeballed going down the lion's head, but ultimately hitchhiked down because who wouldn't do that with the option available from the summit?? Overall, a grueling granite staircase and definitely lived up to its rep

kteichert

kteichert - Aug 21, 2021 12:22 pm Date Climbed: Aug 7, 2021

HP #46  Sucess!

After doing Mount Marcy and Mount Mansfield in one day, my dog was a little limpy, and so I decided to take the easy way to the top of Mount Washington, and drove the road to the top. That doesn’t mean I didn’t take some time and go explore the ridges. We went over towards Mount Adams so we could enjoy the climate, the rising clouds, and the Alpine tundra on top of this peak. What a cool peak! Way too many people crawling all over it, but I definitely wanna come back and do this one from the bottom.

MW

MW - Jul 6, 2021 11:35 am Date Climbed: Jun 29, 2018

Highpoint #4  Sucess!

Drove up the day before and got an early start on the Daniel Webster trail to do the full Presidential Traverse. Epic hike with outstanding views, love the alpine tundra above treeline. Definitely recommend this approach as Mount Washington is not one of the better Presidential peaks due to how touristy the summit is.

PaHiker

PaHiker - Apr 11, 2021 2:43 pm Date Climbed: Jul 30, 2019

Great hike, really busy on the top  Sucess!

Hike started out in the low 90's, but cooled down to mid 40's by the time I reached the top. It was nice and clear when I reached the top so I got some good pictures, soon as I finished clouds moved in enough to block everything. Glad there was a bus to go down.

Trinity50

Trinity50 - Sep 11, 2020 12:28 pm Date Climbed: Aug 22, 2020

Mt. Washington via Lion Head  Sucess!

Mt. Washington via Lion's Head. Celebratory birthday hike with friends and family, ages 13-50. Warm, clear day at the beginning of the hike, then encountered some rain about half way up, and blustery, cool, overcast conditions at the top. It's a steep, challenging stair stepper of a hike at times. Mostly rocky. Crowded in some sections, particularly at the top.

jabfoster - Sep 7, 2020 8:02 am Date Climbed: Jul 16, 2019

Mt. Washington  Sucess!

Completed Washington as part of the Presidential Traverse. Enjoyed this traverse very much, great challenge and beautiful views.

laman711

laman711 - Oct 15, 2019 8:18 pm Date Climbed: Feb 17, 2019

First Winter Accent  Sucess!

Second attempt during the winter. First successful winter summit.

jake_the_snake

jake_the_snake - Oct 1, 2019 2:14 pm Date Climbed: Jan 1, 2019

Summitted in all four seasons!  Sucess!

Love this peak

vanman798

vanman798 - Sep 2, 2019 11:57 am Date Climbed: Aug 28, 2019

Via Tuckermans  Sucess!

Tuckermans Ravine. 1:40 pm to 4:10 pm is 2.5 hours of hiking.

cascadescrambler

cascadescrambler - Aug 26, 2019 11:12 am Date Climbed: Aug 15, 1969

Lived up to its rep  Sucess!

We started up the Lion Head trail on a sunny summer day. By the time we reached the rock pile we were in the clouds with a cold drizzle. We could hardly see the cairns but knew if we kept going up we should get there. A bowl of hot corn chowder on top was just what we needed. Seems like only 50 years have passed since then.

Viewing: 1-20 of 497
Return to 'Mount Washington' main page