Jackman Peak and 'Thunder Lakes Butte'

Jackman Peak and 'Thunder Lakes Butte'

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 48.59094°N / 121.59974°W
Additional Information County: Skagit
Additional Information Elevation: 5205 ft / 1586 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Shuksan
Jackman Peak (lower half of photo) from Sauk Mountain - photo credit: Gimpilator

Jackman Peak is a 5205' summit located eight miles northeast of Concrete, and seven miles north of Rockport. Despite it's short stature, it is the highest point in the area bound by Thunder Creek, Jackman Creek, and Lake Shannon, and boasts a healthy 1465' of topographical prominence.

Jackman Peak from northeast - Photo credit: 'Matt' - NWHikers
Jackman Peak from northeast - Photo credit: 'Matt' - NWHikers

When viewed from a distance, Jackman Peak appears as a forest-covered peak with limited interest for peakbaggers. Closer inspection, however, reveals a rocky summit block that offers nice views at the expense of a short scramble. For this reason, Jackman Peak may be appealing to those who desire the convenience of nearby Sauk Mountain, but also prefer to avoid the crowds (we found one signature in the summit register - it was over five years old).

Clear Lake from Jackman Peak
Clear Lake from Jackman Peak

Also available in the immediate vicinity is Clear Lake (a worthy destination in it's own right), and another rocky summit in the form of 'Thunder Lakes Butte' (my own made up name for Pt. 4795).

Getting There

Rough approximation of Jackman Creek Road mainline
Rough approximation of Jackman Creek Road mainline

Navigate yourself to Jackman Creek Road on SR20 (Elev. 356'), which will be roughly four miles east of Concrete, and five miles west of Rockport. While it may seem counter-intuitive, coming in the 'back way' on SR530 via Darrington and Rockport may actually be shorter and easier for many of those arriving from 'Pugetropolis'. Turn north on Jackman Creek Road, and follow the mainline. Ignore a right hand turn at 2.7 miles (Elev. 1577'), which will likely be gated anyway. This spur leads up Jackman Ridge, which is a little confusing as it is on the opposite side of the Jackman Creek Valley as Jackman Peak. The mainline will be relatively flat for the next four miles, heading northeast to a crossing of Jackman Creek at 6.8 miles (Elev. 1820'). After crossing the creek, the mainline gets down to business, gaining 2400' in 4.6 miles, and crosses an obvious 4217' pass at the 11.4 mile point. Continue on the mainline a little over a mile, until just beyond the saddle between Pt. 4830 and Pt. 4740. This location will be a relative high point in the road approximately 12.5 miles from SR20. Keep a careful eye out on the right hand side of the road for the start of the 'Clear Lake Trail' (unofficial), which heads uphill to the east. It is not marked in any way, and can be easy to miss.

 

Route

Jackman Peak Route Map
Jackman Peak Route Map

Hike the 'Clear Lake Trail' around the south side of Pt. 4740. At this point, the trail will enter a pleasant area of alternating meadows and small tarns. The trail can be quite faint in this section, so careful attention is required. Once the meadows are passed, the trail becomes very well defined as it follows the ridge crest east. The trail will momentarily drop off the ridge crest to avoid nuisance cliff bands as it passes around Pt. 4900. Upon regaining the ridge crest, the trail will begin climbing steeply toward a saddle just west of the Jackman Peak summit block. An interesting rock finger along the way seems to order the unprepared to leave the area.

Rock finger on Jackman Peak points the way back home
Rock finger on Jackman Peak points the way back home

Shortly after passing the rock finger, you will get the first good view of your objective.

Jackman Peak from southwest
Jackman Peak from southwest

From this point, make an oblique traverse to the east (aiming for the grassy ramp just right of photo center) until southeast of Jackman Peak's summit. Now scramble up a steep gully for 100' of elevation gain until gaining the ridge just east of the summit.

Looking east from Jackman Peak summit
Looking east from Jackman Peak summit

Upon gaining the ridge, the final climb to the summit will be on low angle heather slopes. Total distance to the summit from the road will be about 1.8 miles, and just under 1000' of elevation gain.

While Jackman Peak does not offer an unrestricted, 360 degree panorama, views in all directions can be obtained by visiting a few closely spaced locations near the summit.

Mount Baker and Welker Peak from Jackman Peak
Mount Baker and Welker Peak from Jackman Peak

Mount Shuksan and Anderson Butte from Jackman Peak
Mount Shuksan and Anderson Butte from Jackman Peak

Twin Sisters Range from Jackman Peak - Dock Butte and Loomis Mountain in foreground
Twin Sisters Range from Jackman Peak - Dock Butte and Loomis Mountain in foreground

Snowfield Peak (right of center) from Jackman Peak
Snowfield Peak (right of center) from Jackman Peak

Eldorado Peak (right of center) and company from Jackman Peak
Eldorado Peak (right of center) and company from Jackman Peak

Diobsud Buttes from Jackman Peak
Diobsud Buttes from Jackman Peak

The Pickets from Jackman Peak
The Pickets from Jackman Peak

Bacon Peak from Jackman Peak
Bacon Peak from Jackman Peak

Jack Mountain from Jackman Peak
Jack Mountain from Jackman Peak

'Electric Butte' and 'Logger Butte' from Jackman Peak
'Electric Butte' and 'Logger Butte' from Jackman Peak

Snowking Mountain from Jackman Peak
Snowking Mountain from Jackman Peak

Extra Credit: If you are feeling a little guilty about the ease with which you climbed Jackman Peak, there is a 'Bonus Peak' in the area in the form of 'Thunder Lakes Butte'. 

'Thunder Lakes Butte' (Pt. 4795) from south
'Thunder Lakes Butte' (Pt. 4795) from south

Unlike Jackman Peak, 'Thunder Lakes Butte' does offer a 360 degree panorama, albeit from a slightly lower elevation. 

Thunder Lakes Butte Route Map
Thunder Lakes Butte Route Map

From the Clear Lake 'trailhead', continue another 1.4 miles down the mainline, past the Thunder Lakes, to 4400' - here you will find a clearly defined border between old growth and second growth. Ascend in the old growth to the ridge crest, then follow the ridge crest southeast until reaching a nuisance cliff band. Now drop down about 100' on the opposite side of the ridge, and traverse southeast until just northwest of the summit. Now scramble a steep slope back up to the ridge crest, and finish things off with a short class 2/3 scramble. Please resist the temptation to scramble this peak from the very end of the road. It looks good on paper, but results in a frustrating brush fight (ask me how I know).

Note: It does appear possible to scramble this peak from the east, as is suggested by this post - unfortunately, the author does not detail the ascent.

Thunder Lakes Butte summit pano
Thunder Lakes Butte summit pano

Mount Baker from Thunder Lakes Butte
Mount Baker from Thunder Lakes Butte

Welker Peak and Mount Shuksan from Thunder Lakes Butte
Welker Peak and Mount Shuksan from Thunder Lakes Butte

Thunder Lakes area from Thunder Lakes Butte
Thunder Lakes area from Thunder Lakes Butte

Red Tape

A Northwest Forest Pass is not required to park anywhere on the Jackman Creek Road. Please note that most of the gated spurs leading off of the mainline require a Weyerhaeuser permit to access.

When to Climb

June through November would be most ideal, but the season could be extended if one were willing to walk snow-covered roads.

Camping

Clear Lake would provide excellent camping, albeit with a substantial elevation penalty. Camping would also be very feasible in the meadow and tarn area near the start of the Clear Lake Trail. Finally, the summit ridge to the east of Jackman Peak would be acceptable for camping if one desired a view campsite.