Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.16900°N / 119.457°W
Additional Information Elevation: 8101 ft / 2469 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


First, the name. It is listed on the USGS 7.5' quad as simply "Pyramid." No peak, no mount, just Pyramid. The USGS marker on the top lists the same. Pyramid is the 2nd highest peak in the Lake Range of Nevada, just behind Tohakum Peak. Pyramid is a little less than a mile south of Tohakum, and is a good bet for solitude. There is a summit register, and it has only been signed twice, once in May 2000, and once in September 2002. My entry was the third. The peak had obviously been climbed before, the USGS was up there to place their marker, and someone erected a wooden cross that has long since fallen and weathered away. A few small boards and some of the rusty stabilizing wires are all that remain. If you want to avoid tourists, this is the peak for you.

Getting There


Reno, Nevada, is the closest metro area, and these directions are from there. Leave Reno (with plenty of fuel) on Interstate 80 eastbound, and travel 25-26 miles to the Wadsworth exit. Take this exit (Exit 43, NV 427), and drive a mile and a half to the town of Wadsworth, then take a left turn onto NV 447. Set your tripmeter or note your odometer setting, and travel 39-40 miles on NV 447. On your left you will see a dirt road heading to the west, take this. If you miss the first turn-off, there is another about 50-75 yards further that goes to the same place. Follow this road to the end, avoiding the tempting right turn at the only intersection on the road. The road ends at a fence. You can drive maybe 20 yards further, but the parking is not good there. 4WD is not necessary for this route, but high clearance is a good bet, there are some large rocks in the road, and some brush growing in the middle of the road that is 2' or more in height.

Red Tape


This peak is in the Pyramid Lake Indian Reservation, and falls under the jurisdiction of the Pyramid Lake Indian officials. This mountain is not sacred, so there are currently no limitations to climbing it. The right to pass is revocable at any time, so be courteous to the stewards if you see them. There are no fees to access the trailhead or peak, and no parking fees, access is totally unregulated at present. Hopefully this will not change.

When To Climb


The best time to climb in this area is late fall, winter, or spring. These times will find more mild temps, although it may be quite cold in winter. In a normal year, the peak does not receive much snow, so snow equipment is not usually an issue. No snowshoe or ski approaches, no postholing, no avalanches. Summer will likely be quite warm.

Camping


Camping at the trailhead is not a problem, you will be a long way from the road and it is likely no one will be aware of your presence. Camping is not that popular in the area, so there is no official stand, but if you are discreet, you will not be bothered, except maybe by a wandering beef cow.

Mountain Conditions


There is no reliable source for mountain conditions. In the preferred seasons, there is hardly a bad time to climb, as serious storms are infrequent. If the weather is decent in Reno, it's probably perfect at Pyramid. The National Weather Service has excellent weather information for Pyramid Lake and surrounding area here.





Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Lake Range (Nevada)Mountains & Rocks