Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.88030°N / 123.9598°W
Additional Information County: Clatsop
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 190 ft / 58 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Angora Peak
Angora Peak

Haystack Hill State Park is a little known and under developed state park located just south of downtown Cannon Beach, Oregon. It is strange because there are no marking that this is a state park and there is no official trails in the park. There one well used trail/boopath that comes up from the north and goes all of the way to the summit area. There are two potential summit and both are within the trees. Both summit though have some views. The western most one has the better view through the trees of Haystack Rock and of many of the other rocks in the ocean. The eastern summit area has a view towards Angora Peak and neighboring summits. The "trailhead" is nothing more than a pull out on Ross Road. The route up is short and easy and good for even more novice hikers and peakbaggers.
View through the trees
View through the trees

Getting There

From Highway 101 in Cannon Beach: Get off on the south exit to Cannon Beach onto Sunset Way. Make an immediate left onto Spruce Street. There is a good parking pull out right between Ross Lane and East Hills Lane. Park there and then walk south on Spruce Street to the path. 

Route

Map of the Route up Haystack Hill
Map of the Route up Haystack Hill


Red Tape

No red tape for this hike. However you are parking in a residential area. Therefore it is strongly recommended that you don't park there before dawn and after dusk! 

When to Climb

Happy BearQueen on her birthday
Happy BearQueen on her birthday

You can hike here at anytime. Be aware though that it can get very muddy here in winter and weather can be extremely wet during that time as well.

Camping

There is no camping allowed in this underdeveloped state park.

External Links

Unique page on the park written by a church