Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Dean

Dean - Mar 23, 2009 10:00 am - Voted 10/10

Nice

I was going to put this up next week, as I've hiked the mountain over 150 times. I've done it from every direction and in every season since it was in my backyard when I lived in Kennewick so to speak. Check out this thread at NWHikers
for some more history and pictures. I'll post some of these pics now that there is a page to put them on. Nice job.

Redwic

Redwic - Mar 23, 2009 11:01 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice

Thanks. A sister and my nieces used to live in West Richland for many years, so I had always noticed Badger Mountain. I had neglected to hike it, however, until a couple of my hockey friends from Kennewick suggested it. I'm glad I did. It was very enjoyable, and the views were great!!!

Dean

Dean - Mar 23, 2009 11:07 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Nice

My daughter lives in West Richland and I can see her home from Badger. Feel free to use any information from my NWHikers postings that might help add to your page. I have tons of pics from all seasons and I've already posted a few. You can get in a 6.5 mile hike if you hike from one trailhead to the other and back and get close to 1500 feet of elevation gain. There are also quite a few erratics on Badger if you know where they are.
That large rock placed by the Kiosk and the park is an erratic that was found when they were putting in homes nearby. I love Badger and I'm delighted to see it put up on SP.

Redwic

Redwic - Mar 23, 2009 11:17 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice

Let me know if you have any specific additions to the page you would like me to make. If you have any photos of the erratics, or from along the Skyline Trail, feel free to add them to the page. Other photos are welcome, as well, of course. I'll be hiking again and taking more photos the next time I visit Tri-Cities, which will probably be soon but I'm not sure when exactly that will be. Thanks for voting on the page, by the way.

Dean

Dean - Mar 23, 2009 11:31 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Nice

Most likely I'll do a trip report which will describe some of my personal knowledge and history. Here's some good stuff though:

The King of Badger Mountain has to be William Painter (who is also the oldest to climb Mt. Rainier at the age of 83). Check out this blurb from the Seattle Times:
"He has hiked up Badger Mountain, an 800-foot peak in Richland, more than 1,300 times with 40-pound weights strapped to a backpack in anticipation of the 50-pound-pack he would carry up the steep glacial slopes of Rainier. Painter also bicycles about 100 miles a week. His wife of 58 years, Evelyn, rides alongside. But she stays out of his way in the kitchen."

Dean

Dean - Mar 24, 2009 6:43 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Nice

Here's another reference to Bill Painter, Richland resident who is the oldest to summit Mt Rainier

Reference

hikerjim - Mar 25, 2009 3:22 pm - Hasn't voted

Very Good Page

This is a very good page, well written, well presented. The only payment for all the volunteers' work is hearing that people love the trails so seeing this is a huge bonus for us all. Keep coming back and spread the word.
Jim Langdon, Badger Mountain Trailmaster

Bill_W

Bill_W - Apr 20, 2009 9:48 pm - Voted 10/10

Good stuff

I fly over this little mountain all the time but have never hiked it. Now, I might have a reason (so I can sign the register log) I must admit, I am not a hiker or climber but applaud a good page and it is nice to see one for the tri cities.

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Return to 'Badger Mountain' main page