Circle Peak Comments

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
kevinsa

kevinsa - Oct 4, 2013 11:43 pm - Hasn't voted

Circle Peak

Road 2703 was open all the way to the end for our hike (10-04-13). How long it will stay open is unknown, but for now, it makes for a quick trip to the summit. If you drive to the end of FR2703, then turn around and drive back about 1000', you will notice a trail that will lead to the Circle Peak trail in a few hundred feet. This eliminates the requirement to bushwhack through wet brush to get on the trail.

Redwic

Redwic - Sep 1, 2020 9:16 pm - Hasn't voted

FR-2703 now open; saved from decommissioning

The comment from 2013 was during a period of time which FR-2703 was being evaluated for possible decommissioning; the "open" period during 2013 had been short-lived. The last 5+ miles of the access road (Forest Road 2703) was closed for many years and nearly decommissioned completely. But during the past seven years, a group in Darrington fought and paid to open the road, which finally happened this year (2020). Despite grass in the middle of the roadway, most street legal vehicles, except for ultra-low clearance, should be able to reach the trailhead. However, at least four notable small seasonal streams cross the road, and the largest such stream crosses the road at three different locations. My recommendation is to go sooner than later.

Also, the TH is easily found at the point shown on topo maps, about 0.2 miles prior to the end of the road. The first 1-2 minutes is steep until the old trail junction, and then take a left turn and the rest of the trail is straightforward to follow. Great hike and very scenic.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Circle Peak' main page