Stanley Peak Comments

Viewing: 1-14 of 14
mtwashingtonmonroe

mtwashingtonmonroe - Jul 11, 2004 9:41 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice page, I only have a few suggestions though. Put one of your photos in as a signature photo...........and you may want to consider putting your routes on their own page so that you can add more information. Just suggestions though. Good job and good climbing to you!

Fred Spicker

Fred Spicker - Jul 12, 2004 3:53 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for the vote.

I had spaced on putting up a signature photo.

The Routes Overview section is not designed to give detailed route descriptions, but rather to give people an idea of the number and nature of routes established on the mountain. This way people of different interests and abilities can judge if they have an interest and research further.

I wish that more people would add a section like this. I am often left wondering if there are routes on a peak that would be more to my liking than the one climbed by the submitter.

I will not post a route page for a route that I have not personally climbed.

I don't see much use in a detailed page for the Kahl Route - go to the base of the face and climb straight up to the top...........

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Jul 12, 2004 4:59 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Good page, Fred! You must have done quite some research to find all those links!

Martin Cash

Martin Cash - Jul 12, 2004 11:39 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice page.

rpc

rpc - Jul 12, 2004 1:08 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

very nice page.

Aaron Johnson

Aaron Johnson - Jul 12, 2004 6:56 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Wonderful as usual. There will come a day when we will have to ask "is there anything cool lookin' that Fred hasn't climbed?"

Alan Ellis

Alan Ellis - Jul 13, 2004 5:20 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Great page. Concise, to the point, and informative.

Fred Spicker

Fred Spicker - Jul 13, 2004 6:20 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Mike,

Thank you for the vote and the suggestions.

Lat & Long along with some distances and elevation gain have been added to the page.

Note that detailed route information is not a required part of a main page. In fact, a place for route information is not even included on the Add a Mountain form. Route pages can be added to provide detailed information.

I often look at pages and am left wondering if there might be other routes of more interest to me than the one or two included, so I usually include on the main page for peaks with multiple routes a "Routes Overview" section.

The Routes Overview section is not designed to give detailed route descriptions, but rather to give people an idea of the number and nature of routes established on the mountain. This way people of different interests and abilities can judge if they have an interest and research further.

I will not add a route page for a route that I have not personally climbed.

In the case of the Kahl Route, there is little or nothing to add to my brief description under Routes Overview that would justify an entire Route Page, but I did beef it up a little for you.

Here is a transcription of the route description in Selected Climbs of the Canadian Rockies:

"Form the parking lot follow the signed Stanley Glacier trail to its end. Continue up the valley over old moraines and then talus slopes to the tongue of the glacier. Work your way up onto the upper flat part of the glacier below the N face of the mountain. Walk across the flat glacier to the west end of the N face until below the ice face that runs all the way to the summit. Cross the 'schrund (difficulty depending on the season) and ascend the snow/ice slope directly to the summit."

mmoerk

mmoerk - Jul 14, 2004 3:41 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Hi Fred,



Fair enough regarding the route info :-). Thanks for taking my feedback into account.



I'm guessing this peak is at 116.05°W, you have it listed as E.



Thanks and climb safe!

-Mike

Fred Spicker

Fred Spicker - Jul 14, 2004 6:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for the vote update - I fixed the long. - keep forgetting the neg. sign......

tlogan

tlogan - Jul 26, 2004 12:21 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice page.

Rachel

Rachel - Aug 31, 2004 12:35 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Good Page, Fred... Thanks for sharing. Cheers!

Fury

Fury - Jan 11, 2006 4:53 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice page and photos. I am considering climbing Stanley Peak by the NW ridge. Do you have any comments on the feasibility of the NW ridge for three novices?

Ski Mountaineer

Ski Mountaineer - Jun 2, 2006 8:05 pm - Voted 10/10

Link

Check the trip report link in the text, it is not working

Viewing: 1-14 of 14
Return to 'Stanley Peak' main page