Patsy Marley Comments

Viewing: 1-12 of 12
Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Apr 9, 2008 12:57 pm - Hasn't voted

The name

comes from a mining claim on the South side of Grizzly Gulch, and to the best of my knowledge it was also a name of the owner, an Irish guy with a long history of involvement in Alta prospecting and mining. You may wanna double-check your sources :)

Also there is probably no official mountain definition on SP... but whatever definition you take, it'd be hard for Patsy Marley to qualify. Because it has virtually no altitude drop between its top and the low point of ridge leading to Wolverine. Not even 50 ft drop probably!

Finally a good deal of minining detritus in Grizzly is considerably older than "turn of XX century". In particular the boiler sitting in the upper bowl has been installed in 1872

vanman798

vanman798 - Apr 9, 2008 1:15 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: The name

Thanks, I have included both versions of where the name may have come from. I had never heard your version before, but it seems like you got it from a reliable source.

At 10,525 ft Patsy Marley Peak is about 270 ft lower than Wolverine. The pictures included in the write up, clearly show that. I sure wouldn't want to fall off Patsy Marley into the Wolverine Cirque either, that is a huge drop.

Thanks for your comments!

:)

seanpeckham

seanpeckham - Apr 9, 2008 8:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: The name

What little I know of the name jives with what vanman wrote about the madame. My source? A poster on the wall in the Alta library/town hall little room where I took my avalanche class. I'd be interested in knowing why there are two versions of this history and how, if at all, they're related.

mtn runr

mtn runr - Apr 13, 2008 6:14 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: The name

Charles Keller's account of Patsey Marley (note the "e" in Patsey) in his excellent history of the Wasatch canyons, "The Lady in the Ore Bucket," is extensive and well documented. Marley was a pugilist as well as a miner and very popular with his contemporaries. This mountain (or "hill" if you prefer) bore his name even during his lifetime. The "madame" story, on the other hand, smells of urban legend and probably sprung full grown from someone's imagination and got written down somewhere before ending up in the Alta library.

vanman798

vanman798 - Apr 14, 2008 12:19 am - Hasn't voted

Re: The name

Notice the spelling of Patsy Marley in this picture
which is of a sign on Patsy Marley.

Thx!

mtn runr

mtn runr - Apr 14, 2008 11:30 am - Hasn't voted

Re: The name

Notice the spelling of Patsey on the panorama shot on YOUR page. Whoever labeled that photo knew how Patsey spelled his name. Actually "Patsey" (and "Patty") were common 19th century nicknames for Irish men named Patrick.

By the way, I like your page. And I think Patsey Marley is most definitely a mountain.

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Apr 14, 2008 3:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: The name urban legend

Vanman798, maybe you should edit the page already, huh ;) ? Keller's got his info from contemporary newspapers and mining activity reports and Mining District records. The miners of old weren't always very punctual with spelling, but the mine claim is indeed called Patsey Marley with an extra 'e'. And Town of Alta plat has this extra 'e' too.
As to the whore stories ... they are popular everywhere. Like, it's often told that Lake Blanche and Lake Lilian are named after whores - or, almost as often, that they are named after Temperance Society ladies! But these girl names were invented by a painter who thought his Wasatch mountain landscapes would sell better if the lakes had cute names ... and the names stuck :) Well, Patsy or Patsey, if you look up babies names books, are both rare male names rather than cute-romantic ladies.

vanman798

vanman798 - Apr 14, 2008 6:18 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: The name

Thx, I liked the Wolverine Massif picture in spite of the misspelling of Patsy Marley, but yeah, I've seen it spelled both ways, but went with the Alta sign version.

Have a great day!

vanman798

vanman798 - May 10, 2008 10:14 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: The name

mtn_runr, it was good to meet you today, and to be able to put a face to a name!

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Apr 9, 2008 7:34 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: renting?

Thanks d_shorb! Actually, yes LOL, the tri-canyons mining history is easy to "rent", it's all in one neat (but fat!) book and you can get it from local libraries. Charles Keller, "Lady in the Ore Bucket". Once in a few years the old guy leads hikes with the WMC and it's not to be missed. He also has a "Faint Trails of the Wasatch" series of historical essays in the WMC's Rambler.

I like Patsey Marley too, summer and winter all the same. But I wouldn't call it a mountain :)

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Apr 9, 2008 9:53 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: knashing teeth?

Wow that's bad. No, of course there were no "pink" pines in those old days. It's all backcountry skiers invention. I am a bit embarassed that I couldn't find a photograph of PPP with a text saying so - yet. Searching the skiers' forums for either PPP or Pink Pine Peak returns loooooong threads which I have little patience to browse thru.
How about this one from the Commander (and one could dig a few more around those threads too, I'm sure)

runbyu1

runbyu1 - Sep 20, 2015 10:57 pm - Hasn't voted

Pretty good trail now

FYI I went up a couple weeks ago and there is now a pretty good hiker's use trail from Twin Lakes Pass up to the summit. It is very very clear 90+% of the way to the summit with the only place you would have question is for a bit right after it goes through the rocks as it get steep the last 200 meters before the summit.

Viewing: 1-12 of 12
Return to 'Patsy Marley' main page