Viewing: 1-8 of 8

stan z - Jan 12, 2016 2:14 pm - Hasn't voted

Rocks

I did this hike in February of 2015. From the base of the mtn. it took me about 2 hrs. to peak. This is a tough hike, it's like walking up hill in a river bed. 95% of the mtn. is rocks. There is no clear path and very little areas to get out of the rocks.
The hike wore out the bottom of my walking stick. Although it is a nice view, to me it's just not worth it to traverse all the rocks. Coming down isn't any easier. I personally won't do it again.

hgrapid

hgrapid - Jan 12, 2016 3:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Rocks

Spanish Springs Peak is just a giant roadless brown hill. It certainly is worthy of a Summitpost page, albeit it isn't my first choice as a hike. I've only done it once myself. In February 2015 were my directions still consistent? I figure there hasn't been any new development, at least none that would impact access.

rrr - Sep 24, 2016 2:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Found trail to 7000'+

Hi, this is my first post. After spending inordinate amounts of time poring over Summitpost reports of various hiking destinations within driving distance of Reno (and even visiting a few), I am glad at last to have something to contribute. Not sure of the etiquette of what to post where, so 1-3 are posted under Comments, while 4-6 are posted under Climbers Log.

I climbed Spanish Springs Pk last weekend on 9/18/2016. I was able to get above 7000' on jeep trail and only had to slog up about 350' of the final ascent.

1. Access: I parked at the corner of La Mancha and La Jolla, because there was a "private road, not maintained by Washoe County" on the continuation of La Mancha. Photo posted. The sign does not say "private property" or "no trespassing" or any such prohibition. Not knowing the legal niceties, the length of private road I was looking at, or the actual additional distance I was burdening myself with, I figured the odds of keeping out of trouble were better on foot, so I parked. The elevation here is about 4980', and the extra walking to the Pyrenees sign and gate is 1.3 miles one-way. It turns out the improved gravel road is only about 1000' long, up to the driveway of the first house up the road from La Jolla, after which it's back to standard dirt road, in good condition.

2. More access: The Pyrenees gate is at GPS coordinates 39.651232, -119.639950, which Google Maps thinks is 3175 Pyrenees Dr. Near the gate is a side road and fence extending due south, which had me wondering, what for ? Does the fence indicate private property, and if so which side, or is it intended to keep wild animals, like horses, out of Spanish Springs ?

3. Driving: Soon after the Pyrenees gate, there is a small channel across the road which could be an impediment for a 2WD vehicle. I think that with some wood, or even just approaching at an angle, a 2WD could make it across. Other than that, the road is in excellent condition, and getting to the corner of Euskera and Lesaka, and beyond, should be no problem for a 2WD. If you want to drive beyond, my recommendation is to go north on Lesaka (all these street names are from Google Maps; there are no posted street signs anywhere) for 0.6 mi, turn right go another 0.15 mi, and turn right again at a cross-roads, to head south. I re-traced this path while coming downhill and wasn't really paying attention to the quality of the eastbound section, but the north- and south-bound roads are both easily driveable. The "south" section of road winds around and peters out around 6700'; walking, I got off the road onto a jeep track, I believe it was at 39.653770, -119.593144 and 6680'.

[...]

7. As to returning here, I would not want to repeat the hike the way I did it (12 miles round-trip 2500'), but with a couple of changes (driving at least to Pyrenees sign, taking better uphill path on final climb) I think it would be an enjoyable repeat.

hgrapid

hgrapid - Sep 25, 2016 10:22 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Found trail to 7000'+

NV Energy has a right of way. You walked vastly extra mileage because the land is undeveloped and not illegal to cross. I thought my page says that?

hgrapid

hgrapid - Sep 25, 2016 10:22 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Found trail to 7000'+

NV Energy has a right of way. You walked vastly extra mileage because the land is undeveloped and not illegal to cross. I thought my page says that?

rrr - Sep 25, 2016 9:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Found trail to 7000'+

Not sure what I said that rubbed you the wrong way...

Of those vast extra miles, 1.3 were from the corner of La Jolla to the Pyrenees sign. The only mention of private road I found in your post says:

"Only the road and transmission poles. There are no signs designating private property or "no trespassing" signs on the main road, although there is a "Private Road" sign on a road heading to the north (left) from the main dirt road."

which fits the description of a private road sign much further on at the corner of Euskera Rd and either Euskera Ct or Pitarra Ct. The private road sign I posted a pic of is on La Mancha itself, not a side road, where the road is heading approx _south_. Which is still a developed area.

The other 0.5 of those vastly extra miles were to follow trail instead of walking up the slope. I would gladly do that again, and I think others may benefit from knowing that (in 2016) it is possible. Your post says:

"Once at the base, the road ends and you need to walk up the remaining slope. There is no trail, but it is a steady walk up the open slope climbing about 1200 feet in 2 miles."

My off-trail climb was only 350'.

Best wishes, and btw I am a fan of your posts.

hgrapid

hgrapid - Sep 26, 2016 11:54 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Found trail to 7000'+

Thanks for the updates. I am surprised the development in the area has changed little in 6 years. I have been meaning to go back and check it out, but this description saves me the effort! Frankly, you didn't rub me the wrong way. It is unfortunate that you had to walk all that extra way because these developers left their road signs and fences around to make it seem like they were going to start construction when they have no right as of yet to keep anybody out. As I understand it, a private road, not maintained simply means that the county is not required to maintain it, nor any federal agencies. It is on private land, but the county has no responsibility to fix the roads, so the residents would have to do so. But the road itself isn't a private road in the sense that people who don't live there are restricted access. Eventually, if the area continues to grow, there will be more development out there. Yet, for now, you should be legally be able to drive up as far as you wish without any consequences.

hgrapid

hgrapid - Oct 7, 2016 11:12 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Found trail to 7000'+

I appreciate the update. I am going to hike Spanish Springs Peak tomorrow

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Return to 'Spanish Springs Peak ' main page