Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 13, 2008
Activities Activities: Mountaineering

Mt. Hood Old Chute

Due to melt off in the Pearly Gates, we had to utilize the Old Chute. We started out from our camp(9300') at 5am, about an hour later than we should have. We had some crampon issues when we hit the snow so all the climbing parties behind us passed by. We arrived at the Hogsback and noticed two different routes. One third of the way up Hogsback a traverse took off toward's the Old Chute. The other route dropped down off Hogsback and over to the snowfield heading up to the old chute. We chose the upper traverse to make up some time and there was less people directly above us. Along the traverse there are melt out chutes that can be difficult to get down into and out of at such a steep incline. Be careful with your footing and you should be fine. While we were in the chute, a rock was headed for us. we waited as long as possible to determine if it would stay in the chute. About 4 feet above us it decided to take a left turn and missed us by about 10 feet. We witnessed numerous other rocks come loose from above due to climbers coming off the summit and others crossing the chute on their upper traverse. As we continuously heard "rock, rock, rock," we decided to call it a day. We finished the traverse, took a left and dropped onto the rocks and made our way back to hogsback. An earlier departure time would have benefited us. If you have the energy, a single push might be beneficial. Many climbers were attempting it. They left the parking lot around 10-11pm and passed our camp around 2-3am. We're going to try this next time.

On another note, there was a moron heading up hogsback when we were heading down. He was in short, t-shirt, no ice axe, and wearing headphones. Another climbed bitched him out because he wouldn't hear anyone yell "rock" or he wouldn't hear a rock break loose, or a climber yell falling. He just blew him off and continued upwards.

Comments

No comments posted yet.