Mt. Persis -- West Ridge -- trailhead location

Mt. Persis -- West Ridge -- trailhead location

Page Type Page Type: Trailhead
Location Lat/Lon: 47.79805°N / 121.63782°W
Additional Information County: Snohomish
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 3075 ft / 937 m

More precise directions to the trailhead

Mt. Persis is near Index, Washington. Its summit affords a dramatic eastward view of Mt. Index.

The west ridge of Mt. Persis has a good trail. The trail and trailhead location are not clearly marked on my maps and climbing guides, so I'm posting driving directions and photos to help you find it.

Trail: The trail appears neither on the 2001 Green Trails map (#142) nor on my copy of the USGS 1:24000 (7.5') topographic map of the area. As of July 9, 2011, the lower trail was narrow and steep, but very distinct and in very good condition except for a few detours around big fallen trees. The upper trail was still snow-covered, but was easy to follow because it's on a distinct ridge nearly all the way to the summit.

Trailhead: The trailhead is on a logging road spur and is unmarked. Driving directions are below, with photos of the parking area and trailhead.

Road condition as of July 9, 2011: Very good until the last 0.7 mile, then rough, with rocks jutting up as much as a foot. My Honda Civic sustained some damage.

Driving directions from Monroe, Washington, to the trailhead:

1. From Monroe, go west on U.S. Highway 2 (the Stevens Pass Highway). At about 14 miles, pass Zeke's Drive-In on the right, just east of Goldbar.

2. 1.9 miles after Zeke's drive-in, note milepost 33.

3. 0.6 miles after milepost 33, turn right on to Forest Road 6200 (formerly known as Forest Service Road 62), just after a sign marked "FS RD 62." Within a block, go through a big gate. FR 6200 was in excellent condition as of July 9, 2011.

4. After 3.5 miles on Forest Road 6200, fork slightly left onto Forest Road 6220. (No road signs here, but this road showed up on my Honda's GPS screen.)

5. After 1.1 miles, fork left. The road soon becomes rough.

6. After 0.8 miles, turn left sharply. This turn is about 75 meters before a dramatic roadside waterfall partly visible just as you reach the turn.

7. Watch for big rocks jutting out of the roadway.

8. At 0.3 miles is a wide spot big enough for two or three cars. Park here.

9. The trailhead is on the right, unmarked, about 25 meters past the parking turnout.


Photos of the parking area and trailhead:

Mt. Persis -- Northwest Ridge -- trailhead parking areaParking area for the trailhead on the west-northwest ridge of Mt. Persis


Mt. Persis -- Northwest Ridge -- July 9, 2011Trailhead for the trail on the west-northwest ridge of Mt. Persis




External Links

Add External Links text here.