Viewing: 1-2 of 2
rgg

rgg - Jun 15, 2013 11:24 pm - Hasn't voted

Perhaps you didn't search the right way?

Pico
Torre

All I did was search for Mountains & Rocks where I selected country Portugal. These two popped up right away. However, the resulting list was rather short, and so I have to agree that Portugal is very much underrepresented.

ckbarnard

ckbarnard - Jun 17, 2013 6:35 pm - Voted 10/10

Strenuous climb indeed!

I'm Kent, whom "AncientPaths" (aka Tom) mentions in his post. I just wanted to say that, though I'm glad now I did it, not being in very good shape, not to mention being 64 years old (though Tom's similar age didn't bother him nearly as much; he's clearly in much better shape), it was one of the hardest things I've experienced doing, including climbs of Rainier and the Mountaineer's route of Whitney. In addition to my not being in good shape and being older, the climb of Mt. Pico is relentlessly steep; there are hardly any areas of relative flatness to give one a chance to regroup and stretch out the legs in normal walking. Plus the footing was maybe 85% on rough lava, so most steps were on very uneven footing. If I had it to do again, I'd prefer to spend the night in the shallow caldera, then summit and descend the second day. Besides, I've read that the view of the stars from up there is extraordinary!

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Mt. Pico in Azores' main page