Mt. St. Helena

Mt. St. Helena

From Petrified Forest Road.
Bubba Suess
on Feb 28, 2007 11:16 pm
Image ID: 274292

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Noondueler

Noondueler - Feb 24, 2015 4:17 am - Voted 10/10

See this view all the time

coming down the grade into Calistoga on the way to Cobb. This is a great take on that view.

Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - Feb 24, 2015 11:01 am - Hasn't voted

Re: See this view all the time

That has always been my favorite view of Mount Saint Helena. It really gives the mountain a sense of height above the Napa Valley and highlights what a big mountain it actually is. I grew up just a few miles from that spot and I think I have seen the mountain from there in almost every possible weather permutation. You are lucky to be in that neck of the woods so frequently. I love living up in Mount Shasta but my wife and I really miss living in Sonoma County too (though that spot is obviously in Napa).

Noondueler

Noondueler - Feb 24, 2015 12:01 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: See this view all the time

I agree on that view of St. Helena especially along with the Palisades coming down from that road.
I moved up near Cobb Mtn. a year ago and love it.
I hiked up to Goat Roost Rock on the north side across from the north face (North Peak) recently. Do you know of anyone ever climbing that steep cliff covered face from Rattlesnake Canyon?
Knowing something of the state of that terrain it looks like it could be a real bear! :)

Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - Feb 24, 2015 12:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: See this view all the time

I don't know if anyone has but I have always wondered about it. It is definitely one of the most rugged features in the entire region. Certainly one of the tallest cliffs in the wine country, along with Table Rock and Gunsight Rock down on Hood Mountain.

Cobb is a great spot! My dad used to own one of the power plants up there and I grew up working up there for him during summers. There are a number of great spots all around there. Boggs Lake is one of my favorites.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4