Mt. Timpanogos (Winter) SOLO

Mt. Timpanogos (Winter) SOLO

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Feb 3, 2012
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Winter

Mt. Timpanogos (Winter DAY 1) SOLO

User Profile Image

I just got back from attempting Mt. Timpanogos from the Timpanooke trailhead. I had planned to go with a friend but he had to back out last minute so I went solo. I got to about 7500 ft at the grand staircase when I hit problems.



User Profile Image

My first problem was that I was too heavy and I couldn't share gear going solo. About 4 miles into the hike the snow was powder....2 to 3 feet and the trail was gone so I was trailblazing while making a vertical assent. I decided the only way this could be done was to drop a lot of gear, which I did, and then another 2 miles up at about 9000 ft. I ran into the unfortunate realization that I had to return.


User Profile Image

Mt. Timpanogos (Winter DAY 2) SOLO

User Profile Image


It was about 1pm and it would take me at lest 5 hours, at my current rate, to get to the summit. I had no tent, only my sleeping bag, since I unloaded gear to make it up to the summit. If I reached the summit, I would either have to hike back in dark (exhausted I might add) or sleep in my bag without a tent.

User Profile Image


So I headed back down and concluded that this could not be done in 2 nights, but rather, more likely 3 nights and at least 2 hikers. For anyone reading this, what are your thoughts about attempting this in Mar/Apr? I hear those are more dangerous than in Jan/Feb for Winter.

User Profile Image


Comments

No comments posted yet.