Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 23, 2006
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

Prep and acclimatizing

It all started late Thursday when I left SoCal and got to Lone Pine Campground at about 1am. Too tired to do anything, I just tossed the sleeping bag in the back of the truck and crashed until about 5:30 when it started getting light and the dang birds were singing or whatever it is they do. Got myself set up, and by 8 was having some breakfast and then went off to do Stupid Ranger Tricks (that's my vehicle) over in the Alabama Hills. Stopped in Lone Pine to pick up a couple of items at Joseph's, and then headed up to Horseshoe Meadow to spend the day. I know a lot of experts say it takes at least two days to acclimate, but since I only had one I figured it would be better than not doing anything. I just walked around a little, probably a couple of miles at most. Basically spent the day just enjoying the quiet, sitting in the back of the truck and reading a fascinating account of Magellan's voyage around the world. Headed back down to Lone Pine for a pasta dinner at the Pizza Factory - the carb load probably isn't necessary, but there is a psychological advantage. Then I drove up to the Portal, so that I would have my bearings in the morning. I was planning on hitting the trail at 4:30, so I set my Timex for 3:43am. Back to the campground and then to bed in the tent at around 9. Actually slept pretty well, since usually I wake up too often with the anticipation.

The actual hike

After the alarm went off, I really don't know what I did that took so long, but some breakfast and filling the Camelbak put me on the road at 4:37. Dang, I'm late! I got to the Portal and surprisingly there were quite a few parking spots open. I took a 'before' picture at 4:58 and then hit the trail. I found myself walking way too fast, perhaps trying to make up the lost half hour. I had to tell myself to slow down in order to make it all day. Just after crossing Lone Pine Creek there was a great sunrise, with just enough clouds over the White Mountains to put a lot of color in the sky and on the rock facings behind me. The John Muir Wilderness sign said the toilets were closed, so I prepared myself for using the wag bag, although hoping I wouldn't need it. Two hikers passed me at the log bridge, where I changed out of the long sleeves because I was actually getting hot. I didn't see anyone else until Outpost Camp, where I stopped for a 10-minute Odwalla bar snack and rest, and then headed back up the trail. I usually stop every hour for a five-minute break, so this time it worked out so that I could stop at Trailside Meadow. That is one of my favorite places along the entire trail, it's just so peaceful and relaxing. I paused for some photos of Consultation Lake and got to Trail Camp at 9:15. No interference from the marmots this time, only a bird which was quite brave - it hopped right up next to my knee, perhaps expecting a handout. Lunch usually consists of a bagel with peanut butter and honey plus a bottle of Gatorade mixed from powder. A 35mm film container holds the right amount for a half-litre bottle, so I keep a couple in my pack. Once again, it's the psychological effect to prepare for the switchbacks. Of course, right when I got to the start of them, nature called so I had to detour around to find some rock shelter. I remembered the sign said to find a secluded spot with a nice view, but of course that's pretty tough to accomplish. Anyway, I got started up the switchbacks at 10:10. Got to the cables at 10:50, the 3-mile marker at 11:35 and reached the snow patch before Trail Crest at noon. Is that slow? I pretty much had the uphill to myself, there were a few parties on their way down. I even had to wait for a group of six to cross one of the snow patches. That back side of the trail isn't nearly as nice as the parts before Trail Camp, it's just too rocky to make any time! After about a mile I started struggling, so I stopped for another break and ate half a Snickers with almonds. I finally got to the point near the top where the hut comes into view, and that gave me enough of a boost to hustle up to the peak right at 2pm. Wow, 9 hours for all that. I guess I am slow. While at the summit I chatted with the dozen or so people around, including one man from Las Vegas who was making his 19th trip to the top. A group of guys brought a kite, but there wasn't enough wind to get it aloft. I saw it got left near the logbook as a treat for others. When I got up to leave, I was amazed that I had been there for 45 minutes. I signed the book, noting that it was my second state highpoint (Boundary Peak in NV last month) and headed back to the trail. Except where was the trail? I actually had to pull Mr Magellan out of my pocket to find the route, I was about 200 feet off.
The hike back down isn't all that fun, there is plenty of uphill for the trek back to Trail Crest, and that last few hundred feet is really tough. 10 steps, take a break. 10 steps, take a break. I took my last break there, finished off the Snickers, and headed back down again at 4:45. On the way down, I had to refill with water again on the switchbacks, but in the afternoon there is plenty flowing. After fording a couple of streams in the middle of the trail, I got to Trail Camp at 5:40. I changed my socks (what a great feeling that is), and once again hit the trail at 5:50. Now all I could think about was, cheeseburger and Fat Tire Ale at the Portal....I tried to pick up the pace, but once again I think I'm slow. I stopped once more for water just before Outpost Camp, and then really tried to speed up. I thought the store closed at 9, meaning the grill would close at 8:15, but it turns out I was an hour off. I ran into a group just before the Lone Pine Creek crossing, and they gave me the bad news. So I walked the rest of the way with them, having a nice conversation with a gentleman from San Gabriel. We all got back for pictures at the trailhead at 8:30, making my total time 15 and a half hours. The worst part was I had to go into town for food, and I figured I smelled too bad to sit in the coffee shop. That left McDonalds or Carls, so I chose the former. Not quite the same reward, but the fudge sundae was tasty. I finally got to bed around 10pm, which made it a very long day. Sunday morning I just packed up and left, leaving Lone Pine at just about 9am. With only one stop at Kramer Junction, I made it home right after 1pm.



Comments

No comments posted yet.