Page Type Page Type: Custom Object
Additional Information Object Type: Mushroom

Introduction

Mega-Mushroom
A list of the edible mushrooms that I myself have eaten in the U.S.A only. Mushroom picking and eating is dangerous, many are poisonus. I do not recomend doing this unless you are an expert, or are with an expert to confirm the mushroom.

Information used from "National Audubon Society" Field Guide to Mushrooms, and life experiences.

Ringless Honey Mushroom

Ringless Honey Mushroom (Armillariella tabescens)
Yellow-brown, dry, scaly cap with white to discolored gills and stalk. clustered on wood or over buried wood.

Edibility: Good, with caution

Septeber-November

Look-alikes:
Omphalotus olearius
Gymnopilus spectabilis - bitter taste


Range: NE. North America to Florida, est to Kansas and Texas. Popular in the Appalacian Mountains.

Like to grow on Oak.

Oyster Mushroom

Oyster Mushroom (Pleurotus ostreatus)
Broad, fleshy, white, gray or brown cap with broad, whitish or yellow-tinged gills arising from attachment to wood or small hairy, stublike stalk; on wood.

Edibility: choice

Season- year-round, we pick in late Fall to early winter in eastern Virginia. At favorable conditions.

Range: Throughout North America

Look-alikes:
Pleurocybella porrigens
Hypsizygus tessulatus
Lentinus and Lentinellus

Old Man of the Woods

Old Man of the Woods (Strobilomyces floccopus)
Coarsly scaly, grayish-balck cap qith white to dark gray tubes and woolly-scaly blackish stalk.

Edibility: Edible

Range: Nova Scotia to Florid, west to Michigan and Texas.

Season: July-October

Look-alikes: S. confusus

This bolete is less appetizing when it becomes old.

Common in the east

Red-capped Scaber Stalk

Red-capped Scaber Stalk
Red-capped Scaber Stalk (Leccinum aurantiacum)
Orange-red cap with off-white pores and rough stalk with short, rigid projections.

Edibility: Good!

Season: Mid-July through September

Range: Throughout N. North America, common in Colorado

Look-alikes: L. insigne

This mushroom is one of the best I have ever tasted!- When throughly cooked, then add heavy cream or such.

The King Bolete

Eating the King Bolete
King Bolete
This mushroom was not found in the book so I used: http://www.mushroomexpert.com/boletus_edulis.html
and personal reference- the mushroom expert- Tomasz Plawski- my dad.

The King Bolete (Boletus edulis)

The king of all of the mushrooms, and definatly the most tasty. He rules the world of fungi! With a giant stalk and tower appearence he is the ruler of the forest floor.

The pore surface of this mushroom is whiteish at first, then it becomes yellow-olive, the tubes are the same. The pores are tightly packed at first; not bruising or, when aged; a bruising olive.

Edibility- Amazing

Season: Late June- Early August

Range: Colorado and Northern New Mexico