Viewing: 1-11 of 11
rgg

rgg - Jan 24, 2011 8:44 am - Voted 10/10

About footwear ...

It's just a suggestion, but next time you're going to a farm area, perhaps you could bring a pair of clogs? Perfectly capable of dealing with farm animals.
Mind you, they would be somewhat less suitable for serious hiking, although, after walking in them for some time, they get surprisingly comfy - or maybe I'm just confused and it's your feet getting calloused enough so you don't know any better.

Anyway, kidding aside, thanks for the nice story. Sorry you felt bad back then, but this time you've put a smile on my face :-).

hansw

hansw - Jan 24, 2011 12:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: About footwear ...

Thanks,
Smile intended:)

Speaking of clogs I spent one month wearing a pair (Swedish type) when visiting the US back in 1972. As I recall I was the only one there with clogs. It was rather funny when people approached asking what I had on my feet.

Thanks again,
/Hans

rgg

rgg - Jan 24, 2011 4:49 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: About footwear ...

What's the difference between Swedish clogs and Dutch ones?

I was thinking about the all wooden type. In Amsterdam, you'll only see small ones in tourist shops, and lots of them too. Out in the countryside, the real thing is still in use.
I have an old pair in my garage that I haven't worn for a very long time. Last time I can (vaguely) recall using them was when I went to a university lecture in a very cold winter - say what you want, wooden shoes are amazing in keeping your feet warm! My fellow students remembered me for years after that ;-)

hansw

hansw - Jan 25, 2011 1:47 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: About footwear ...

There is a picture of a Swedish clog down this page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clog_(shoe)

But I must say that the real thing looks nicer.

Rick B

Rick B - Jan 30, 2011 2:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Nice trip report

Hey Hans,

Another nice trip report, I enjoyed reading it. I saw in the movie that you also have special mountain boots, very blue :-)

Cheers,

Rick

hansw

hansw - Jan 30, 2011 3:53 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice trip report

Thanks Rick,

Blue all right, but very old fashion:)

/Hans

TimB

TimB - Jan 31, 2011 9:40 am - Voted 10/10

Good report!

Now I won't feel quite so bad when I have to step in sheep !@#$ when I am hiking here in Idaho.
:D

hansw

hansw - Jan 31, 2011 4:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good report!

Thanks,

Remember the story about the sparrow, cow and cat?

http://dejankurel.info/blog/2009/01/07/little-story-about-the-sparrow-cow-and-cat/

Anyway here are the conclusions:

1. The one who shits on you is not necessarily your enemy.
2. It’s not always bad to be in deep shit.
3. The one who takes you out of the deep shit is not necessarily your friend.
4. When you are in the pool of shit – keep your mouth closed and do be quiet.
:)

/Hans

Kostek - Feb 3, 2011 5:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Nice story

Really friendly and truly spoken story... I really enjoyed reading it. I've visited Saas valey few times already and must say that it is one of the most astonishing place in the Alps. I plan to climb Nadelhorn this year.

Good luck Hans and wish You more 4000ers.

hansw

hansw - Feb 4, 2011 7:24 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice story

Thanks for kind words.
Yes, only if you have been to Saas-Fee you can understand the feeling of being at the end of the world. Looking up to the ridge between the Täschhorn and the Dom is surrealistic somehow.
And be careful climbing the Nadelhorn.

/Hans

Kostek - Feb 3, 2011 5:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Nice story

Really friendly and truly spoken story... I really enjoyed reading it. I've visited Saas valey few times already and must say that it is one of the most astonishing place in the Alps. I plan to climb Nadelhorn this year.

Good luck Hans and wish You more 4000ers.

Viewing: 1-11 of 11
Return to 'Nadelhorn – A Needle on the Dung Fork' main page