Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.74210°N / 69.06126°W
Additional Information Elevation: 1030 ft / 314 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The ridge tops along Nahmakanta Steam have some interesting ledges from 60-100 feet high. These granite rocks provide interest to the hiker on the Appalachian and provide good views of the surrounding forests, mountains and lakes.As mountains go this one is certainly not very big 1030 feet but it is passed by quite a few hikers on their way to or from one of the longest hikes in the world. Yet I’m sure it is little noticed but it does provide some interest to the casual passerby because unlike some of the hills in the area it has a crag at the top-about 100 feet more or less that keeps watch over Nahmakanta Stream and the neighboring forests to the south. The most interesting thing about this crag is that it has possibilities for first ascents and I’m sure it has had but few visitors-maybe just forest creatures in the last 25 years. It rises steeply for 500 ft. above a couple of fishing pools in Nahmakanta Stream. The granite top is festooned with lichens and small spruce trees while birch hug the cliffs themselves. This is part of the 43,000 acre Nahmakanta wild lands run by the state.

Getting There

Drive North from Bangor Maine to Medway a about 57 miles. Exit at Medway and travel westbound on 157 & 11 to Millinocket about 10 miles. Then Southwest on Route 11 to Partridge Cove on South Twin Lake. These crags can be gotten to by boat from South Twin Lake a boat trip of 14-15 miles or from Ambajejus Lake a trip of 10 miles from the dike at Spencer Cove. If proceeding by boat from South Twin and the public boat landing in Partridge cove. Head NNW for about 3.5 miles and then NW about 10 miles aiming for the NW end of Pemadumcook Lake. Enter the inlet of Nahamkanta Stream and park about a mile up from the camps on the south bank of the stream by a huge boulder in midstream. Walk west on the Appalachian trail about 2.5 miles until you come out on Nahmakanta Stream. If possible Jump boulders to cross this sometimes powerful stream and head North up the hill to the crags. There are a couple of boulderfields for you to hop through. A hike of about 1/2 mile north of the stream should get you there.

Otherwise from Millinocket travel about 10 miles toward Baxter Park going NW on Millinocket Road. Stop at the dike between Ambajejus and Millinocket Lakes to leave by boat. If leaving from the dike at Spencer Cove, just head south west until Pemadumcook Lake and head up the north side of the lake NW bound until Nahmakanta Stream. One could also reach these by hiking 25 miles south from Baxter Park. Reach the east end of Nahmakanta Lake a nd proceed about 2.5 miles east from that point on the Appalachian Trail and then follow the proceeding directions.

Red Tape

None that I know of

Camping

One can camp along the stream or at Nahmakanta Lake Leanto on the Appalachian Trail about 2.5 miles west of the crag. This campsite is at the east end of Nahmakanta Lake.

External Links

Debsconeag- Nahmakanta

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
TMF

TMF - Jan 29, 2008 1:39 pm - Voted 10/10

Debsconeag

you missed the "C" in Debsconeag, figured id let you know

desainme

desainme - Jan 29, 2008 6:19 pm - Hasn't voted

Thanks for letting me know

I caught at least one bad Nahmakanta spelling as well. I helped haul a wooden dory from Pemadumcook over to 3rd Debsconeag one sweaty day with abundant black flies, but then the boat just rotted away on the forested shore.

TMF

TMF - Feb 8, 2008 1:07 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Thanks for letting me know

ya Nahmakanta is a beautiful area, i lived and worked about a 15 minute drive from the Nahmakanta lake for about a month or so, definately one of my favorite places.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3