Nanga Sago

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.23000°N / 77.66500°E
Additional Information Elevation: 18950 ft / 5776 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This mountain is a one day climb starting directly from Leh (3500m), the famous capital of Ladakh. The mountain is basically a huge hill with scree surface. There is some snow on top, but on the northern side of the mountain, which can't be seen from Leh. Its height makes it an excellent opportunity to acclimatize for longer treks or expedition climbs in the area, without being away from civilization. Also, during the tourist season in Ladakh, you hardly need any technical equipment, nor exceptionally warm clothes (I got along with fleece layers).

Getting There

I personally don't know any expicit trails to reach the mountain top. However, I know that tour operators in Leh probably offer tours also to Nanga Sago, so every input is welcome.

I myself started from Leh on the road that leads to famous Kardung Lah Pass and turned after appr. 5km away from the paved road into a greenish valley to the right (as green as it gets in the desert), where a creek reaches the road. The creek has formed a 10m deep creek bed in this small valley. If you follow this creek, which gets its water from the small snowfields on the top of the mountain (in theory, you don't need to carry any water if the creek has water), you will easily find your way to the mountain top over loose large scree stones(that hide the creek on the last 600 m). However, because of this scree and the possiblility of injuries, please don't go alone.

Regarding the descent: The mountain is huge, and I've made the mistake to take a different way down (to the East) over loose scree, where the descent was not even shorter and where I additionally dicovered, when I reached the road, that I was not 5km but 15km away from Leh. And later in the day, there are not too many cars running any more. So I strongly recommend to walk the same way down.

Red Tape

None

When To Climb

Usually climbed from July to October.
The rest of the year, temperatures are harsh in Ladakh and tourism is close to zero, because no flights are going and land travel (three days from Delhi) gets very hard. However, if somebody plans to climb an expedition peak in Ladakh (Stok Kangri etc.) in Winter, Nanga Sago may be considered also as an acclimatization peak, with winter equipment. I estimate that no ice equipment is needed.

Camping

No huts or similiar.
Camping allowed everywhere.

Mountain Conditions

No web cams or similiar.
Enquire in Leh for current conditions.